2008 Utopia 205 SE. Twin 155 non supercharged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkwenzlick

New member here, and wanted to start by saying thanks for all the great info shared on these forums!

I have been a prop boat owner/user my whole life, but am looking to get a best move family boat and have been heavily thinning a jet boat might be the best option. I am going to look at a 2008 Utopia 205 SE tomorrow. Just looking for any pros or cons to the utopia layout or the engines before I pull the trigger on a new boat.

I understand that the jet boat will have "different" manuverability at low RPM but I think the benefit of not having a stern drive is much larger.

Things my buddies (I/O owners) have thrown at me as cons are noisier, 2 engines to maintain vs 1, gas mileage, ruffer wake for watersports.

What are you guys thoughts??

Well, we have a twin engine.... Double the engines to maintain but very easy to maintain. You will get used to the control difference vs. stern drive, it is very different but you can teach an old dog new tricks. I feel you can get a finer control with a jet once you get used to it. Both have their pros and cons but we would not look for a stern drive anytime soon!

Things my buddies (I/O owners) have thrown at me as cons are noisier, 2 engines to maintain vs 1, gas mileage, ruffer wake for watersports.

What are you guys thoughts??

You're friends are correct on all accounts. Twins burn more fuel. Jets have a crappy wake for watersports (great outside the wake) and they're definitely noisier. They turn on a dime and are super maneuverable. They do move around a lot when it's windy and during slow driving due to not having anything below the waterline to act like a skeg.

I'd recommend test driving the boat and see how you like it. Maintenance is super easy and not expensive for the average DIYer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back