2006 Sea-Doo Sportster 4-tec engine won’t start...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

argolith

Hey guys, on Sunday April 2nd my 2006 Sea-Doo 4tec Sportster Jetboat almost sank. The engine was basically under water.
I live on an Island in the Caribbean. No lakes, just salt water bodies.
I took the boat out of the water, then flushed and serviced the engine. (Changed the Oil, Oil filters, spark plugs, gasoline, solenoid, fuses affected by water etc.)

Took me about 4 Oil changes and a few runs on the water to get the oil to look normal (it looked milky before) and to make the ‘check oil’ indicator go away.

Today, I took it out on the water and it sounded really good. I was doing about 60mph and the ‘check engine’ light came on, the boat made a loud beeping sound for about 3 seconds, went into limp mode and it just idled there in the water. It wouldn’t accelerate.
I turned the engine back off and then started it up again. I cruised at about 20 mph and gradually increased the speed. At around 55-60mph the boat lost power (the engine shutdown). None of the indicator lights came on. The engine didn’t start again after that.

After taking it out of the water my brother and I did some troubleshooting. We realized that:
- the fuses were still good (most of them were replaced after being submerged in the water for so long.)
- wires were grounded properly
- oil levels were good

What caught our attention was the spark from the spark plugs. The spark was a dull, dirty orange color. It’s suppose to be bluish whitish.
What might be causing this ?

What might cause the engine to not start?

** I have already read the troubleshooting section for this issue in the manual. **

First of all, if the engine goes into limp mode DONT TRY TO OVERRIDE THAT ! Limp mode is there for a reason!
Is it possible that the plugs are just no good anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back