2006 GTX SC--Shop Said Original SC Was Fine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbjonz

Hi All,

In May, we bought a 2006 GTX SC in very good condition with 124 hours on it. Although we weren't looking for a supercharged unit, the price and the timing were right. We couldn't be happier with our choice--it's a great machine.

To make a long story short, the seller (who was the second owner) was fairly sure the supercharger hadn't been rebuilt. I took it to the local shop right (that is also a Sea Doo dealer) after we purchased it to have the supercharger rebuilt just for piece of mind. The tech told me that they first inspect the supercharger and will rebuild only if the unit shows signs of excessive wear or has become unstable. Their inspection gave the supercharger a clean bill of health, and the only work done was an oil change.

Having read horror stories about failed superchargers and the engine damage caused, I'm going to have it rebuilt at the end of the season. We've put 10 hours on it since purchase and will likely put on another 10 before the season ends. I get the sense that I'm playing the odds here--the supercharger likely won't fail given that we don't ride it all that hard and that it was given a clean bill of health.

Has anyone ever had a tech say the supercharger is fine, especially one with over 100 hours? In general, how much should I expect to pay to have it done. If I were more mechanically inclined I'd remove it myself and send it to PWC Muscle.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Ask them how they determine "A SC is fine". Complete BS.
You can do the torque slip test, that will prove the clutch is working but it tells nothing about the bearings :)
Once you take the SC out and open it to inspect, you can replace everything the same time, same job basically and it does not cost that much if you use a quality overhaul set (don't use the cheapest you find on Ebay). If your SC would fails that is your 2006 ski gone.
For piece of mind I would just take it out and send it off for overhaul. Rather than driving with ass cheeks cramped close during WOT.

Ask them how they determine "A SC is fine". Complete BS.
You can do the torque slip test, that will prove the clutch is working but it tells nothing about the bearings :)
Once you take the SC out and open it to inspect, you can replace everything the same time, same job basically and it does not cost that much if you use a quality overhaul set (don't use the cheapest you find on Ebay). If your SC would fails that is your 2006 ski gone.
For piece of mind I would just take it out and send it off for overhaul. Rather than driving with ass cheeks cramped close during WOT.

Thanks for your reply. I called a different shop and they confirmed your reasoning. I'm going to pull it out of the water and have the SC rebuilt. Will still give us plenty of time to enjoy the SeaDoo without worrying about whether the SC will blow up...

Well, piece of mind secured. The good folks at Jesco Marine in Kalispell rebuilt the SC for me. I brought the GTX to them on Thursday afternoon and they had it done the next day, which means I get to have some fun with it over the weekend on Flathead lake.

Hi All,

In May, we bought a 2006 GTX SC in very good condition with 124 hours on it. Although we weren't looking for a supercharged unit, the price and the timing were right. We couldn't be happier with our choice--it's a great machine.

To make a long story short, the seller (who was the second owner) was fairly sure the supercharger hadn't been rebuilt. I took it to the local shop right (that is also a Sea Doo dealer) after we purchased it to have the supercharger rebuilt just for piece of mind. The tech told me that they first inspect the supercharger and will rebuild only if the unit shows signs of excessive wear or has become unstable. Their inspection gave the supercharger a clean bill of health, and the only work done was an oil change.

Having read horror stories about failed superchargers and the engine damage caused, I'm going to have it rebuilt at the end of the season. We've put 10 hours on it since purchase and will likely put on another 10 before the season ends. I get the sense that I'm playing the odds here--the supercharger likely won't fail given that we don't ride it all that hard and that it was given a clean bill of health.

Has anyone ever had a tech say the supercharger is fine, especially one with over 100 hours? In general, how much should I expect to pay to have it done. If I were more mechanically inclined I'd remove it myself and send it to PWC Muscle.

Thanks in advance.

I had my done 100hrs and right on the ski 3rd birthday got superchargedr rebuild by seadoo only the have it fail and killed the motor 18 month fighting I told the guy I spent the $600 as insurance as that was peanuts in the scream of thing. 17 hrs of use and it let go due to fail part in the seadoo kit ended up costing me 5000 and seadoo supplied parts at 4500. I would say spend the 1500 for new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back