2006 gtx limited sea doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dckng

Hi guys, i have a 2006 gtx limited sea doo and it was recently hydrolocked. We have diesel in the engine and the super charger has been rebuilt. The sea doo has been fully taken apart and reassembled again. I found that there is water in the oil, and i was wondering what i should do about draining/pumping out the oil. links would be greatly appreciated and tips.
Thanks, -dckng :willy_nilly:

Why do you have diesel in the engine? It is a gas engine...

I think a better timeline of events might be in order here... what happened what was done to fix then what happened etc. You need a suction pump to suck the oil out of the crankcase thru the engine oil dipstick tube, suck all you can out then remove the suction line and crank 20 seconds holding WOT (which prevents it from starting) then stop and re-insert suction tube and suck more oil out and repeat this 2 or 3 times till you no longer get anything sucked out. Then refill with correct engine oil.

- Michael

Sorry, i was in a hurry earlier. The diesel was put into the engine from my brother, i have no idea why its there but apparently it helps with storage because the sea doos were stored from last year to now. I don't know all the details, i do know that it was hydrolocked from it being submerged, and it after we drained out all the water from the sea doo on the lift. We pinched the tube so it wouldn't flood (don't know the name of the tube) and we towed it to the ramp onto the trailer. It was transported to a marina and disassembled to further asses the damage. And thats how it ended up getting diesel into the engine for storage. I was told there is water in the engine and i did check the dipstick for water and i saw some. The supercharger was sent to a sea doo store and rebuilt. Also, does the filter need to be replaced when the sea doo it hydrolocked?

Ok, I'm still not following you here... it was submerged and water got into the cylinder's hydrolocking the engine (but not while it was running, correct?). You took it to a shop and they diassembled the engine, or you disassembled the engine yourself? Who disassembled the engine and why? Simply getting water inside the engine does not warrant taking the engine out and apart, so why was it disassembled? Was it running when it took on water and became hydrolocked?

Who re-assembled the engine? Someone put diesel in the crankcase for winter storage? That's not necessary at all and shouldn't be done IMHO! How is it that there is diesel in the crankcase and now water in the crankcase also if the engine was cleaned out when it was disassembled and hasn't been run since?

There is a difference between hydrolocking the engine, where water get's into a cylinder and prevents the piston from going to top dead center, and getting water into the crankcase mixing into the engine oil (which can happen from the intercooler leaking as well as submerging the engine in water). But yes if you had water in the oil then both the oil and oil filter need to be changed. Obviously you also have diesel in the oil along with the water so it all needs to be sucked out as much as possible!

What I'm most concerned about is did somebody run it with diesel in the crankcase or was the water left in there from the previous submerging/disassembly/reassembly? You shouldn't be running the engine with diesel in the crankcase, and all water contaminated oil should have been cleaned out when the engine was disassembled, thus I'm confused where and when the water in the engine came from....

1st things 1st, suck everything out of the crankcase and change the engine oil filter then refill the crankcase with the correct engine oil (I use BRP's brand oil for 4TEC Supercharged engines from my local SeaDoo dealership, some people though like the Rotella 15w40 engine oil to each their own IMHO). Fill it with fresh oil to the middle of the bend in the dipstick, NOT to the top of the bend! Then back it into some water at a boatramp (preferrably when there's not much activity going on at the ramp... I wouldn't do this on the 4th of July for instance!) and with it still on the trailer but in the water go ahead and start it and let it run with the seats off and make sure no water is coming in to the hull. Stop and check engine oil level, make sure it isn't "making oil" or turning the oil milky.

Was the reason for it sinking last year taken care of?

If everything looks good at the boat ramp running it on trailer then go ahead put the seats back on and release it from the trailer and ride it near the ramp for a little bit, stopping back at the boat ramp every 10-15 minutes to check inside the hull for leaks and check the engine oil again. If after a check or two everything is staying stable (and fairly dry inside the hull) then you're probably ok to go.

Finally consider installing an automatic electric bilge pump with the automatic lead hooked directly to your battery (with inline fuse of course) so that it's always in auto mode, you can put a manual rocker switch in the glove compartment for manual override of the auto mode if you like... point is, if it takes on water for ANY reason at all the electric bilge pump will start pumping it out over the side (I put my thru-hull fitting for the electric bilge pump under the rear grab handle on the left side behind the rear seat). Takes about $50-$60 and 2-3 hours to do this job, saves TONNES of headache and expense later on.

- Michael

The engine was disassembled to figure out the problem, and all i know is that the diesel is a great engine cleaner, and it was used to help lube up the gears and everything because all the oil was drained. It apparently helps rust from forming. As for hydrolocking, its what i was told has happened and i dont know anything on that-were hoping the main problem was with the super charger and its fixed from the rebuild
The machine has not been ran ever since it was submerged, even though we have the battery all ready to go i wont put it in until i know what must be done about the engine and oil.
Would quicksilver pwc oil work on these sea doos? I have heard that it will work just as well as regular oil- I am not sure though.
Thanks for advice and tips so far- dckng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back