2005 Sportster 15' 215 won't start when hot

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ple999

Bought this 2 months ago from the original owner. Garage-kept, fewer than 50 hours but all the upgrades to the supercharger, etc. PO gave it up because he turned 82. Runs perfectly, like a sewing machine. No high-speed runs because the Intracoastal has a 30mph limit. Twice, after running an hour or so, we stopped at a restaurant and had lunch for an hour. It wouldn't re-start: 4 beeps, press the button and a single "clunk" noise. Again and again. After trying for about 30 minutes, starter would spin it a few revolutions, not firing. After another 15 minutes, or so, it would turn over for as long as I pressed the button, but no fire. Finally, it caught, running on 2 cylinders for 30 , seconds, then all 3, and it ran perfectly the whole hour back to the ramp. At home, 30-minutes later, it would not restart to flush the exhaust

I read all the posts in this Forum, and replaced the fuel pump and filters using amazon.com/gp/product/B073V3G5GX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Also installed a new battery, on spec.

On two days, I did two test runs of 45 minutes away from the ramp and back, each time waiting 1/2 hour and tried a restart. Worked perfectly. Yesterday, we did another restaurant run. and after sitting an hour, it wouldn't re-start. Sent the wife and friend home via Uber, and called TowBoatUS, not looking forward to a 15-mile tow at 5kts. Went through the same routines, first clunking, then tuning over a few times, then turning over as long the button was pressed. Finally, 10 minutes into the tow, it fired on two, then all three, same as before. We cast off the tow, and the towboat followed me halfway home. This time, at the house, it DID restart so I could flush the exhaust.

Any ideas?

I would...

1.. Check all grounds for corrosion.
2.. next time it is doing it short the solenoid. If it still is doing it, replace your starter. If it doesn't do it replace the solenoid.

Have the battery load tested , confirm the charging system is at around 14.25 volts when above idle , if these check out then test the starter and solenoid , if all checks out then look for a leak in your intercooler. Take the plugs out and see how it turns over, look at them for rust/corrosion.

Have the battery load tested , confirm the charging system is at around 14.25 volts when above idle , if these check out then test the starter and solenoid , if all checks out then look for a leak in your intercooler. Take the plugs out and see how it turns over, look at them for rust/corrosion.
Thanks. I replaced the plugs on spec when I did the fuel filter and battery. The old ones looked fine, but I will check again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back