2005 seadoo gtx top speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbchancellor15

I have a matching pair of 2005 seadoo gtx 4tec supercharged models and one will run 62 across the water but the other will only go about 52. They accelerate the same and there is no other issues other than the loss of top speed. The slower one I just rebuilt with a new rod and crankshaft, today was the first time I rode it wide open. Looking for any ideas as to where this loss of speed is coming from. Thanks

I haven’t rebuilt the superchargers. I guess they have never been rebuilt. I bought them used last September and they were damaged when I got them, hence the rebuild. I did forget to mention that the ski that won’t reach top speed does run only 30 with the learning key

Then you are way over do and are risking destroying the engines.
I think the rebuild interval is something like 2 years or 100 hours whatever comes first.
More than likely you are loosing boost from a slipping clutch in the supercharger.

I worded that bad, the guy had spun a rod when I bought it. There were no existing issues with the supercharger. But what all needs to be replaced with rebuilding the supercharger? I’ve seen kits that have the whole shaft and gear and all of that. Is that necessary?

It doesn't matter if they are bad they have to be rebuilt or you will destroy them and the engine.. If they are the original ones they might have ceramic washers that will destroy an engine. What caused the rod bearing to go?

PWC Muscle here does a lot of rebuilds and sells parts.

They blew a seal out and ran it without oil for a while before loading it up. When I got it, he had got a shop to repair the seal. When the shop got it fixed, they ran it and it had a knock and the guy sold it to me. I’m guessing it was the PTO seal or something like that. Could I just replace the bearings and those washers in the supercharger and be safe? I know the manual says you have to replace the bearings when you take the supercharger apart.

It is a complete kit, bearings, seals and all parts needed. There is an art to it and even Seadoo dealers have been known to get it wrong.

The supercharger rebuild is probably the single biggest maintenance item overlooked on the 4-tec skis and probably the biggest cause of engine failures also.

It really doesn’t matter. If it’s over 2 years since it’s been done it has to be done.

You can test the slipping moment of the supercharger clutch washers with a dial torque wrench and a camshaft locking tool in the ski. 71 to 106 lbs.in. is the break in supercharger torque values.
Doesn’t mean the bearings aren’t going to fail anytime soon even if the washers are in spec.

Just so we’re clear the justification for doing the supercharger is they will fail and take out the engine, not when. You really are on very borrowed time and we don’t want to see you ruin your engines, it’s mandatory.

I have a 2005 GTX SC and at at 76-7700 RPM I am getting just shy of 62 on GPS with two ppl and full tank. You are definitely not getting the correct speed for the engine rpms :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back