2005 RXT Oil Beep - Help Please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahz24

Hi Everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I have found this site very useful. Thank you to everyone!

I recently purchased my first Jet Ski. I purchased it knowing there was an oil light issue and after reading many of the forum discussions about the oil light in the 2005 RXT.

Issue: For me after about 30 minutes of use there is a loud beep and it displays "Oil" (no code). The message goes away I can pull away immediately after the beep. Sometimes it will beep again after 10 seconds. Sometimes it will run another 5 minutes or so before it beeps “Oil”. Once it beeps it is ready to go again. It never goes into limp mode. If it beeps and I let it sit and idle for a few minutes it will run longer before the next beep. If I park it for 15 minutes I can usually go another 20 minutes before it beeps. If I take off within seconds of it beeping it usually beeps right away again. When I attach the learner key and press set 5 times it goes straight to "end" (no codes). I hope everyone understands that. It never goes into limp. Each time it beeps it says "Oil". It does NOT seem to be consistent with hitting waves or the choppiness of the water, but I am not certain.

I read many forum discussions on this and it seems that everyone is pointing to 1 of 2 sensors, or the oil injector/regulator. However, everyone else’s machine seem to stay on "oil" and go into limp mode. A slightly different symptom. I was told by the seller one of the sensors was replaced in the fall by the dealer because of this issue. I will call the dealer this week and ask what they replaced.

1. With this information can anyone point to the most likely part that is causing the problem?

2. How do you check the oil? I checked the oil cold (after running for 24 hours) and it seems to be 1/8" above the top bend in the dip stick (like it had too much oil). I also checked it 30 minutes after running the ski while the engine was still warm and it also was about 1/8" above the top bend in the dip stick. Is it possible I am getting the error because there is too much oil? I am certain I checked the oil stick one time and it was between the notches but at the top. I just cannot remember when that was. I think it was before my very first ride.

3. Where are the sensors? I have worked on my 1993 XP but under this 2005 seat I am lost! I cannot even find the oil filter!

4. One last question not related to this post. If this machine is inner-cooled, why do I need to hook up the hose to start it out of the water? A brief explanation is fine. I am just curious.

5. The seller said they always run premium gas in everything they own. Is it okay to continue to do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes their time. If anyone is in the Springfield, IL area and would like to help me out I would be happy to compensate you.

Welcome to the forum. And to the world of RXTs! lol The intercooler flows lake/ocean water through it's coils in the intake. It doesn't change the need for a hose out of water. They have a "closed loop" cooling system (basically like a car) for the engine but that uses a radiator plate below the jet pump to cool from the lake. The incoming lake water cools the exhaust system and goes to the intercooler, so you still need a hose to keep the machine cool while out of the water. Even then it is recommended to not run it for more than 5 minutes because the shaft seal is not being cooled by water.

Not sure about the oil problems though, sorry. From my mechanical experience it sounds like a possible bad sensor, but I have never encountered it on my machine as of yet.

FYI... according to the manual to check the oil the engine should be warm. Let it idle for 30 seconds then shut it down. Let it set for 30 seconds then check the oil. It should be between the two bends in the dipstick. You can check in or out of the water but the craft must be level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back