2005 rxp starter cranks engine for about 2 seconds then free spins. What's the cause?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio riverguy

I have a 2005 RXP. Ran fine. Now I go to start it and the engine cranks for about 2 seconds then the starter just free spins under no load. Bendix? Timing? Something else?

No experience with that issue on a Doo, but any automotive it'd be diagnosed as starter bendix. After spinning out, will again engage and turn for just seconds again? Teeth missing off flywheel, they freewheel without ever catching.

Yes it will re-engage and then spin out after about 2 seconds of cranking the engine. Just keeps repeating each time i hit the start button.

The starter drive is gone, there is a clutch inside the drive that allows it to spin the opposite direction when the engine starts and the starter is still engaged in the flywheel. It allows the drive to disengage, I would just replace the whole starter.

My apology, I should have stated that the starter drive is only replaceable by removing the PTO cover etc.

The starter drive/motor is replaceable from the outside, the bendix gear is not. Im facing the exact same problem :( If it freespins the starter is ok, but the bendix is probably gone...

Starter is replaceable without pulling the PTO housing, For Starter Drive removal, the PTO housing and the ring gear need to be removed first. No reference to the bendix gear in my service manual.

Victor Bendix was apparently not Canadian
There are several 'names' for the same part, Bendix is a trade name that alot of people still use and you are correct as it is listed as the Bendix drive in the parts manual by BRP. I have always called it a starter drive))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back