2005 RXP blown engine. how to tell which engine I need

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nfdmedic

I have a 2005 seadoo RXP with a blown engine. I have looked in the owners manual and it has 215A, 215B, 215C, 215D engines listed. What are the differences and how do I figure out which one I need to purchase and any recomendations or where to purchase one?

Purchasing a new Bombardier engine isn't practical for an 05, you'd be thousands. SBT makes replacements but some have had issues with quality.

What blew? More often than not, rebuild with a mix of new and used parts is your best $ option.. Any 05 and back 215 is usable. 06 and newer can be used but a number of things have to be changed and/or kept from the 05.

I am in the process of pulling the engine to see the hole in the block!! I know it is there because of the chunks of the block and pretty sure part of the bearing. So I think there wont be much usable internal except maybe the head, I know one of the rocker arms is gone as I can push the piston down with a screwdriver. A friend flipped it upside down and didn't have the key attached to him according to him. looks lie the oil dumped in the head and air intake. I did find water in the oil pump when I drained it and fragments in the hull. See pic below. I will have to get engine out and start breaking it down to find out about usable parts, Just never worked on jetskis much and looking at options. I have all winter to resolve!!

Attachments

• 20191030_193658 (1).jpg
    20191030_193658 (1).jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 74
I have been wrong before, at least once or twice, but those don't look like pieces of an engine block to me. It's always nice to have good friends. Maybe you should find another friend. I agree, I think you should consider getting an engine repair manual and try to rebuild engine. I would think its unlikely that you blew a hole in the side of the engine, although, you may have thrown a piston rod. Those pieces may be from an earlier repair, like a water pump.

I have been wrong before, at least once or twice, but those don't look like pieces of an engine block to me.
Don't know much about these but I don't know how common it is to have paint inside the engine, definitely seems like a part of the block since there is paint on it.

I wouldn't think that anything inside the engine would have paint on it. I would think if it has paint on it, that would be an outside part. Those pieces also look like they are brass. Most engines are steel and some are aluminum. Steel is dark grey and aluminum is light grey.

Definitely part of the engine block. Most likely you threw a rod through the side of the block on the #2 cylinder, seen it many times. BRP does paint the inside of the blocks. Aluminum blocks with cast iron sleeves.IMG_20160501_163151526_HDR.jpgIMG_20160501_163145788.jpgIMG_20160501_163211460.jpg47.jpg

** the last pic I just added shows the connecting rod sticking out of crankcase. Will wait till after the holidays to start!! Thanks for all the replys

Attachments

• 20191113_155536.jpg
    20191113_155536.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 50
Don't loan your ski to friends!! He didn't have the key attached to his vest. According to him he flipped it and it stuck upside down, running All oil dumped into head and it ran till crankshaft seized and threw a connecting rod.

Day-yum !!!! Is your friend buying the engine?? I tell people all the time.... "Hey Bro.... Lemme Ride yo ski." It is amazing the damage that can be done quickly from inexperienced people. I'm an old motorcycle guy. Don't let nobody ride your bike or your ski.

Picture makes me SICK. I know it does the owner.

The ski shouldn't run while upside down. Part of the TOPS (tip over protection system) to shut it off and to stop oil from flowing to the head.

It really isn't your friend's fault. I've seen this many times and usually happens at higher rpms. When you push a motor like the scic 4tecs, they will fail on occasion.

I finally got it out. Connecting rod #3 went through block and damaged starter too. In the process of buying parts and rebuilding. Thanks for all the help!! 20200208_162119.jpg20200208_173009.jpg20200208_173019.jpg20200210_132834.jpg20200210_132854.jpg

Hey I have an engine assembly that came out of an 2006 Seadoo RXT 1100CC super charged 4-TEC. Very low hours. I need to get rid of. It works great. Fresh water only Shoot me offers. You can email me at Sullivan2319@gmail.com or text 505-917-2907. I also have it on eBay

Thanks for the offer but I am an idiot who loves to work on stuff!! I rebuilt with a used block and spent about $2300 including new exhaust valves. Dropped it back in a month ago and it runs GREAT! Thanks for all the advice and I had a blast rebuilding that engine!!

How much would an engine for that thing cost? Cost is the main reason I stay away from 4 strokes. LOL Glad you had a ball with it.
HOw much of a pain in the azz was it? How about a report/story?

You can buy a new engine with the head, from SBT but...… some people love them some hate them. There are many threads about SBT engines on here to research and draw your own conclusions. I use all sea doo OEM parts with the exception of the head gasket (WSM). A new Sea Doo engine runs way too much to buy. You are better to buy a used block and use what is not messed up on old engine. I purchased a used block, used crankshaft, new piston, new connecting rod and all new rings and all new bearings. Reworked head with new exhaust valves and had to buy 2 intake valves, I also rebuilt the supercharger so in the long run in was cheaper for me to rebuild than buying a SBT engine. I probably had about 40 hours total in the complete tear down and rebuild with it up an running. It was done over the winter months so I wasn't in a hurry. I worked a little here and there and ordered the parts over several months so the bills didn't hit all at once. It is a fairly simple engine to rebuild.

I'm trying to figure what it would cost me to buy a 4 stroke with a damaged engine and go through that and everything else as well. I do two strokes but may do a 4 stroke if the right one comes along. No supercharger.... LOL I think the 155hp would be fine for us.

Where did you find the used parts, block and such?? Thanks for posting up.

I found most everything on ebay. I was fortunate enough to meet a guy off ebay that has a local shop. He was able to sell me a few parts I needed cheaper than ebay. Most new parts came from local seadoo dealer and a few from partzilla

Good discussion. I literally just blew my 2006 GTX SC 4-Tec on Labor Day this year. Blew the connecting rod right through the side of the block near the starter. I am completely bummed. Need to see why the SBT motors are so controversial as I do not have much experience with rebuilding motors. Does anyone have any other suggestions to pick up a rebuilt motor from someplace else other than SBT?

It wasnt that hard to rebuild. You can find the shop engine manual online and just do it yourself. If you lived closer I would be glad to help. Good luck, but even doing yourself you will have about $2000 to 2500 in it,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back