2005 GTX just stopped running

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

opfor22

Well I just got a new (new to me) 2005 Sea-Doo GTX with the supercharged $-Tec engine. So I decided to tale it out to Pyramid lake today to give it a try. All went well for the first 4 minutes. I was able to get it to 50 MPH I slowed down, and then started going again. I got the craft up to 35 MPH then it just died and I couldn't get it to turn over again. LASD came to my rescue and towed me back to the ramp. He thought that it may be the battery.

My question is would a bad battery cause the craft to just die like that and wont it run on the power created by the stator?

yes a poor battery will act like that.

have you checked the clutch washers in the sc yet?

Unfortunately for me I bought a new battery and the craft wont turn over so It's not the battery I'm afraid it's something more costly!!!

You couldn't get it to turn over, or you couldn't get it to start again? They're different things with different possible causes.

Please clarify.

- Michael

Were you in shallow water did you suck up something get a light and look up from the intake grate and see if you have a rock or something jammed in the impeller. So did you buy this ski with out test driving it that on your fist outing it broke in 5 min

Basically YES, This craft fired right up out of water and hooked up to the flush kit and I had no issued on the water for the first 5 min then it just died. There was no sound or warning codes on the display..

Did you look up and see if there is anything up in the impeller?? And rule number always water test before buying a pwc or boat would you buy a used car without test driving sorry to hear about your ski let us know if there is anything stuck up in there

Basically YES, This craft fired right up out of water and hooked up to the flush kit and I had no issued on the water for the first 5 min then it just died. There was no sound or warning codes on the display..

Pull the pump out the back and check it for a rope wound up inside or something. That would be my 1st thought, you sucked something up into the pump (likely a rope) and it wound up in there and won't let the driveshaft turn now (so the engine will not turn-over by starter power).

The pump is not hard to pull out, just disconnect the steering/reverse/OPAS linkages (VTS too if you have that), note which bolts go where and how the washers go on them, there's a water hose at the top of the pump with a clamp you release (this hose makes the OPAS paddles lift up at higher speeds), then remove the 4 brass bolts that hold the pump to the hull... now pull the pump back and it'll come right out. The driveshaft will stay in the hull, the carbon ring bellows willl keep it in there.

- Michael

Pull the pump out the back and check it for a rope wound up inside or something. That would be my 1st thought, you sucked something up into the pump (likely a rope) and it wound up in there and won't let the driveshaft turn now (so the engine will not turn-over by starter power).

The pump is not hard to pull out, just disconnect the steering/reverse/OPAS linkages (VTS too if you have that), note which bolts go where and how the washers go on them, there's a water hose at the top of the pump with a clamp you release (this hose makes the OPAS paddles lift up at higher speeds), then remove the 4 brass bolts that hold the pump to the hull... now pull the pump back and it'll come right out. The driveshaft will stay in the hull, the carbon ring bellows willl keep it in there.

- Michael

OK I will have to take a closer look at the jet pump but I did visually look at it and it seemed clear.

UPDATE:

Engine is shot!!! The #1 cylinder spark plug was destroyed and without a total tear down they cant be sure. I should note that the craft has 234 hours on the Eng. So I guess it's time to by a re manufactured engine from SBT.

Well cwap... it must have dropped a valve. :-(

That's just terrible timing, and I doubt there was any way anyone could have known it was about to do that. If the cyclinder wall isn't badly damaged it could be re-honed and a new head put on for cheaper than a rebuilt engine. But if the cyclinder is badly scored it'd probably be best to just drop a rebuilt SBT engine in it.

Total cost of ownership is a *itch! Sorry!

- Michael

As we all are told, you should expect to invest money in a PWC. Nothing will last forever. The cost of having toys isn't cheap. But it sure bites to have a dead PWC the first day out.

At least you were aware when you purchased a PWC with 234 hours that the possibility of a breakdown was great. I purchased an extremely clean SEA DOO GTI with only 30 hours and the timing chain broke within two months after my purchase, prompting major engine repair costs.

Here's hoping that you didn't pay a lot for the PWC due to its hours, and that you can get it repaired at a reasonable cost. It just doesn't seem to me that "reasonable cost" and "SEA DOO PWC repair" have much to do with each other.

Good Luck.

I paid 3800 for the craft and a new 2010 Zeiman trailer so I'm going to crunch some numbers and see how it works out

Crunching numbers on any watercraft, will always come out with you having an empty wallet! Sorry to hear about the engine

keltonks please 234hrs is no fresh ski so if he has to do some repairs it no surprise to anyone sorry ou had a prob with ypur ski but we are here for prob solving and advice we dont need you chiming in on ever break down thread crying about your prob with your ski it is better to use the ski then let it sit and have npo hrs on it so please dont butt in unless there is something use full to say

bought my 2001 gtx in early july and motor seized 20 days later:banghead: thank god the engine was replaced with a SBT and has one more year left for warrenty and got new engine for $130 for shipping but check this out, i called local nondealer repair shop and they wanted $1k just to take out the old and put back in the new engine :bs:. Luckily i was able to do it myself. took 2 hrs to remove and 6 to put back in (wanted to be sure stuff was hooked up right) :thumbsup:

i called local nondealer repair shop and they wanted $1k just to take out the old and put back in the new engine :bs:. Luckily i was able to do it myself. took 2 hrs to remove and 6 to put back in (wanted to be sure stuff was hooked up right) :thumbsup:

PWC repair shops, both dealership (especially dealership!) and non-dealership, just charge way too much to remove/re-install PWC engines... it's not rocket science, and it's well worth learning to do it yourself just so you now how. Among other things you'll know where things are inside the hull once you've pulled and re-installed your own engine (many things you just cannot see when the engine is installed). It only takes and afternoon or 2 at most. I borrowed a small john deere tractor with a front end loader to lift the engine back into my RXT last fall so I could re-install it (pad the hull with towels, lots of towels, so you don't chip it anywhere... you will bump the edges of the engine compartment no matter how hard you try not to so the towels are necessary).

Regards!

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back