2005 GTI LE Starting and Hesitation Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TextileWolf

Hey Guys,

I just purchased my first jet ski from a friend of a friend for a great price. I know the primary owner of the ski took good care of it and it was serviced regularly. The guy I bought it from never even put it in the water so it sat for a couple years maybe. We added some new gas and were able to get it started but it has problems starting consistently so the plugs were changed. That cleared it up for the most part.

We have taken it to the lake twice and 90% of the time it starts just fine. However, it takes a few hits to get it running. A couple times it takes a few minutes or more to get it running. I assume somewhat related, it also has some hesitation at 3000-4000 rpm. It seems to accelerate fine and runs like a top at full throttle. We are going to change the fuel filter. We think we have run all the old gas out. What other areas should we look at?

Thanks for any help.

You need a full fuel system service. Carbs rebuilt with only Genuine Mikuni kits, needle and seat, fuel strainer and fuel selector. IF the fuel lines are gray they need to be replaced. Change the oil injection filter, ensure you are using the correct API-TC oil and change the pump oil.

You need a full fuel system service. Carbs rebuilt with only Genuine Mikuni kits, needle and seat, fuel strainer and fuel selector. IF the fuel lines are gray they need to be replaced. Change the oil injection filter, ensure you are using the correct API-TC oil and change the pump oil.

Thanks for the tips, but my ski is fuel injected.

Is yours the 787 RFI engine? I would change the 2 fuel filters in the tank.

Sure is. I have tried to find the filter, but don’t find the part listed in catalogs. I assume it is under the fuel system? The only filter I can find is the oil filter.

Last edited:
Just to close the loop on this many months later...it was a bad computer. The repair guy took a while to get that diagnosis but thankfully he found it. It ran lIke a top this weekend. However it still seems to not want to start ocasionally. It turns over but doesn’t even try to hit. Buddy thinks it might be a bad kill switch. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back