2005 GTI LE rfi - wrong small block?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptKaos36

Hi All, Blew a ring and gouged the rotary valve face and crank on 782 engine. I bought a small block on Ebay and added new pistons/rings to it and set timing to 147 degrees. Bought new fuel injectors, installed in doo and got it started. Running rough and very cold here, so I put back in heated garage till it warms again to get the hose out. After reading everything I could about the 782 engine, I happen to look at ebay and realized I bought a "SEADOO 787 RFI ENGINE BLOCK CRANKCASE GTX GTI 787 800 ROTAX FUEL INJECTION"
I asked the seller if this would work and he told me yes. My questions? How bad am I? Will it work? I have the small block and used everything on it. The only pieces from the 782 I used was the attachment for the exhaust. It looks Identical to the 782 block and cylinders. Everything went together great. Only weird thing was the 782 wire from the on top on the fly wheel was real short. The 787 was a lot longer. Thank you in adavnce.

There’s only one 787 RFI, they are just different names for the same thing, 787, 800. The electronics can be different from year to year.

Your best bet is to use your electronics on the new engine.

You should have also sent the injectors out for servicing and testing and changed both in tank fuel filters.

Thank you, the injectors are new. When you say "use your electronics" can you explain more?
I plugged everything in, the only thing I could change is the plug on the top of the fly wheel.
I can't think of anything else I could change unless, I pulled the stator from old one to the new engine??

It should be fine but if plugs are different I would have just swapped in my stator.

if you've got an 04 or prior flywheel and mag cup in your 05 ski,, your ignition timing is off.
Easy way to tell is take your front cylinder to TDC, and make a mark on your pto and rear mount lining up. Crank ski with timing light on front plug wire, see if the marks line up. and it's not by a few degrees.. it's like.. 130 degrees different so you will know if it's not correct.

if you've got an 04 or prior flywheel and mag cup in your 05 ski,, your ignition timing is off.
Easy way to tell is take your front cylinder to TDC, and make a mark on your pto and rear mount lining up. Crank ski with timing light on front plug wire, see if the marks line up. and it's not by a few degrees.. it's like.. 130 degrees different so you will know if it's not correct.
I noticed yesterday that the plug wires were on the wrong plugs when it ran. Switched to the right plugs and it was back firing. Should I adjust the timing to the fly wheel and stator in the ski from the new engine or switch the fly wheel and stator with the old engine?

I'm certain the timing is off, have the stator out of the old engine, Will the old flywheel and mag cup fit on that older block? The engine is still in the ski, I'm going to pull it with it in it. Just wanted to make certain. On the swapping of the parts, to do when I get back from Mexico.

I'm certain the timing is off, have the stator out of the old engine, Will the old flywheel and mag cup fit on that older block? The engine is still in the ski, I'm going to pull it with it in it. Just wanted to make certain. On the swapping of the parts, to do when I get back from Mexico.
yes.

Thank you for the help. Does the flywheel/mag cup have to be changed also or can I get away with just the stator?
The stator would be just about a 30 minute job. (fingers crossed)

BIG thank you to DanSquires! Changed the flywheel, and stator and the ski is purring like a kitten. Thank you again, I would have been messing with that engine for months. Off to plow driveway and scrap ice! lol

BIG thank you to DanSquires! Changed the flywheel, and stator and the ski is purring like a kitten. Thank you again, I would have been messing with that engine for months. Off to plow driveway and scrap ice! lol

You're welcome, just glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back