2005 Challenger 180 or 2007 Speedster 150

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nlconner

Hi Everyone!! I have previously owned a 98 XP 951, and a 98 GSX 951. Long story short, I do not have either anymore but am looking at a new (to me) jet boat. The 2 I am looking at are a 2005 Challenger 180 and a 2007 Speedster 150. The Challenger has 80 hours on it and the Speedster has 55. I haven't gone to look at either yet since they are all in storage here in MN! I would like some pros and cons for both if at all possible. Personally I love the "Whale" look of the Challenger so I think I already have a favorite. The asking price for the Challenger is $11,700 and the Speedster $11,400. What to do??

The prices seem pretty high, I just bought a 07 speedster with a bad motor so I looked the nada up and its about 8500 give or take. They made a bunch of different engine choices so make sure you know what you are looking at.

I really wouldnt spend that kind of money without being able to test it, if I was I would have to be getting a screaming deal.

Ours will be up for sale but prob wont be available until June.

Thanks for the reply, I checked NADA and the two that I am looking at with trailer book out at about the asking price. Both boats are the 215HP supercharged 3 cylinder. They are both up in your neck of the woods on CL. I definitely would want to test them out before pulling the trigger so it will be at least spring when I decide.

For the fair price, check with the blue book with all options, can't go wrong to buy a top condition Speedster 150 if it's a non supercharged one, they last almost forever if you treat them right.

Without knowing condition and maintenance records - If I had to pick between those two I'd pick the challenger. The speedsters are tiny, they're fun for you and one or two other people to cruise around making power turns but it's not something you'd load up with people and head to the lake for the day, not comfortably anyway. The Challenger is like a boat, the speedster is more like a big jet ski.

If you're waiting until spring you will see MANY more come on the market by that time.

If it's a supercharged model they need to be rebuilt every 100 hours. Ask for receipts. Do a test drive and ask lots of questions.

I know that speedster you're talking about, it is overpriced, it has been on the market for a LOOOONG time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brian,

I thought it was a bit high. It is at a dealer so it is to be expected. I will keep my eyes open and probably get more serious in the spring. Till then, I will hang out here and try to learn a thing or two!

If you buy from a dealer you'll have to pay sales tax, if you buy private party you only pay sales tax on the trailer.

When you do find one post the link here and we'll tell you what we think, we like to spend other people's money.

And do not consider anything from Minne tonka motor sports. They will "unknownly" sell you a "commissioned" piece of junk.

HA! I actually was going to mention that in my first post on this thread but forgot to. Generally speaking I don't think company bashing on an open anonymous forum should be allowed. However Minnetonka4me has an impeccable reputation in this business and my username is my name Soooooo.

I also would recommend staying away from that place unless all your Ts are crossed and I dotted. I'm sure there's been many a first time buyers burned by that place.

I have bought two skis that came from that place (did not buy from that place but from guys who bought from that place) and BOTH had title problems. From a place that calls themselves a dealership that is ridiculous.

Yup I typically dont hate on other businesses but that place is a sketch as it comes...

I hands down would tell you to go to St. boni or Ray at Jetboyz. Why? They actually have integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back