2005 Challenger 180 hard start when cold

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paaping

After boat has been sitting in water for a day, it is hard to start. Starter turns over fine but it does not start. I can try 10 times and it does not start. I need to manually give it gas by turning the throttle assembly on the engine where the fuel cable attaches to get it to start. The throttle lever is of course locked when in Neutral so you have to bypass the lever by fiddling in the engine bay.

Yes. 4tec 4 stroke. I beleive 2005 is the first year of the Chalenger 180.

In passing, when starting and giving some revs via the throttle assembly, I notice just below what looks like the drive shaft spin and spit up some water. I don't know if it could be related.

I would check your idle control valve.

When the throttle body is in the closed position, engine idle airflow is managed by a servo maintaining and airflow bypass regulating how much air is delivered to the intake.

I have not been able to find much help detailing how to find and test the idle control valve on the 4tec. Or, any aftermarket alternatives; oem is over $200.

Does anyone have pictures, diagrams or videos?

Read the above thread.

You can pull the idle control valve with 2 screws. Make sure the metal end piece is not rusted to the throttle body.

The only test is an ohm test which may or may not determine if it is faulty.

UPDATE : Thank you MacSeaDoo.

Switching the Idle Bypass Valve curred the hard start and also makes it idle smoother.

I did not bother testing the resistance as it was mechanically failed. The plunger could be depressed up and down and could physically be removed out of the unit. The new one was fixed in place.

This is an easy DIY fix.

Please note; BRP reenginered the valve (new part number) but the new part is $400 whereas you can get the old part online for $50.

Thanks again.

Glad you have it sorted out. Good to note on the part number.

I am starting to see a slightly erratic idle on my machine these days when cold. I may pull mine out to take a look at it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back