2005 180 challenger having trouble starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajdevilla

I have a 2005 challenger 180 215. The first start of the day it will turn over and catch no issues. As a day of driving goes on when I stop and shut the boat off and go to turn it on again it will crank and turn but won’t catch. After several attempts it eventually catches. I replaced spark plugs, have a new battery and new solenoid. What are some things I should check before taking to shop?

Thanks!!

I have a 2005 challenger 180 215. The first start of the day it will turn over and catch no issues. As a day of driving goes on when I stop and shut the boat off and go to turn it on again it will crank and turn but won’t catch. After several attempts it eventually catches. I replaced spark plugs, have a new battery and new solenoid. What are some things I should check before taking to shop?

Thanks!!
There are definitely more competent boat mechanics on here…hopefully one of them will see your post!

Did you also replace your coils? How about your air filter? I know on my 2008 230 Wake, I have 2 215hp 4tec engines and my air filters are supposed to be cleaned each year. They are reusable and I buy the K&N cleaning kit. If you have a similar engine to mine, there is also a crankshaft position sensor that could be failing. I had to replace mine a year ago…acted like it wanted to start and just never turned all the way over.

Godspeed!

Fuel, air, spark are the ingredients to a running engine.

Fuel,

When you put the key on the post do your hear the fuel pump run?

Air

When the throttle is closed, air is metered with the idle control valve. Can you try starting with the throttle forward slightly? If it starts, the idle control valve could be frozen or malfunctioning.

Spark

The ignition system is engaged with a successful key post sequence. Do you get the normal chirps with the key on the post?

Anytime I hear of transient issues like this, I think of the grounds. There are 3 of them on the front of the block. Most likely they are hard to see. Try looking at them with a mirror or your phone. If they are all corroded, they should be cleaned up.

Also as mentioned if the crank position sensor does not provide data when a start is initiated, their will be no spark. The loss of the CPS though also would cause engine shutdown while underway in top of no start. You also should get a code.

Let us know how you make out

Fuel, air, spark are the ingredients to a running engine.

Fuel,

When you put the key on the post do your hear the fuel pump run?

Air

When the throttle is closed, air is metered with the idle control valve. Can you try starting with the throttle forward slightly? If it starts, the idle control valve could be frozen or malfunctioning.

Spark

The ignition system is engaged with a successful key post sequence. Do you get the normal chirps with the key on the post?

Anytime I hear of transient issues like this, I think of the grounds. There are 3 of them on the front of the block. Most likely they are hard to see. Try looking at them with a mirror or your phone. If they are all corroded, they should be cleaned up.

Also as mentioned if the crank position sensor does not provide data when a start is initiated, their will be no spark. The loss of the CPS though also would cause engine shutdown while underway in top of no start. You also should get a code.

Let us know how you make out
Hey pretty late response sorry but,

I can hear the fuel pump run. As far as the key. I find sometimes I'll have to put the key in and out a few times for it to give the proper chirps. Where I live the winter isn't very boater friendly lol. Trying to have some things to check when I take it out next month to get it ready for summer.

Thanks for your help

There are definitely more competent boat mechanics on here…hopefully one of them will see your post!

Did you also replace your coils? How about your air filter? I know on my 2008 230 Wake, I have 2 215hp 4tec engines and my air filters are supposed to be cleaned each year. They are reusable and I buy the K&N cleaning kit. If you have a similar engine to mine, there is also a crankshaft position sensor that could be failing. I had to replace mine a year ago…acted like it wanted to start and just never turned all the way over.

Godspeed!
Thanks, will definitely clean filters and replace coils to start season. Even if this isn't the issue can't hurt! thanks.

Considering you hear the fuel pump. I am putting a vote in the Idle Control valve. Next time when it will not start, open the engine hatch and have someone twist slightly the throttle butterfly at the intake. If it starts, your idle control valve is bad.

The idle control valve is used to control air when the throttle is in the closed position. It is a passageway next to the throttle butterfly and is basically a servo motor on a cup and passageway. Sometimes the servo becomes bad and starts to become inoperative when warmed.

Another symptom of this is an erratic idle, such as surging or fast idle.

This is not Seadoo specific, but I've found this problem with many cars: If the fuel pump's check valve is faulty and doesn't hold pressure, engine heat can boil the gas in the rails/injectors pushing the fuel out. In systems with a return line you can purge the air by cycling the pump a couple times, but I'm pretty sure this engine has a return-less system so the air has to purge through the injectors as you're cranking.

I've read that when the key gets finicky, even if you get the chirps it might not fully activate the system. If you're able to make it start by just pressing the start button a few times then that's unlikely to be the problem. If it only starts after removing the key and putting it back on the post then it's probably that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back