2004 Sportster 4-TEC fuel pump fuse blowing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmillington

Hi, I have a 2004 Sportster 4-TEC that I haven't use for a couple of years, with close to a full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer in it.

I went to start it recently, and it didn't turn over, so I replaced the battery. After that, it then turned over for a bit, but the 10 amp fuse for the fuel pump blew.

Now, when I replace the 10 amp fuse and use the key, it beeps twice as normal, but a few seconds later I get 4 beeps and the motor won't turn over, and the fuse is blown again.

It seems to me that the fuel pump has gone bad on me - does that makes sense?

I appreciate any feedback from those in-the-know.

Also, has anyone replaced the fuel pump on a 2004 (or thereabouts) Sportster 4-TEC - is it very difficult?

Thanks in advance!
Jim Millington
Orangevale, CA

The Fuel Pump Access is under the center / rear seat. It's a process but not too difficult overall. I would suggest disconnecting the battery since there tends to be a lot of fuel that comes out when the the pump assembly is lifted out of the tank. The replacement pump will come with two fuel filters. I would also check the fuel pump wires to be 100% sure they have not been pinched somewhere along the path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back