2004 Sea Doo Sporter 4-Tec Water in Oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

frost1003

HI,
I recently purchased an 04 Sea Doo Sportster 4-Tec non supercharged.
It took on some water the first time out on some large wakes, the bilge pump turns out to be bad.
By the end of my time out on the lake the boat had 2-3 inches of water that reached the bottom of the motor.

Long shorty short the tip stick was pushed out and there was milky oil sprayed around the inside of the engine compartment.
When I check the oil it's milky / grasyish color - signs of water in the oil.

Is there a standard procedure to deal with something like this? Can I find a drain plug and drain all the oil and flush it a few times?
Or does the motor need to come out to deal with this? I'm pretty mechanical but the thought of taking the motor out is pretty daunting.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

There is a procedure in the shop manual. No drain plug, you have to suck the oil out with a pump. Then you can boil the water vapor out by running the engine hot, see the shop manual. A few inches of water in the bilge is not likely related to water in your oil. Pressure in your crankcase can be caused by a faulty TOPS valve, it is not normal for the dipstick to pop out and spray oil around.

Thanks for the input. I'll check out the shop manual for the procedure to boil the water out.
I did have it at full throttle for a few laps (5-10 minute) at the end of the day. I feel like that's when it happened. I'm replacing the bilge pump.

I'll check on details of the TOPS valve.

I can pretty much guarantee the water in your engine did not come from a few inches of water in the bilge. i would guess you have two problems to deal with in regard to your boat. i might start by pulling the spark plugs to see if you have a plug that has been washed clean compared to the other two. if you do, i would do a compression check. you might have a head gasket issue.

I can pretty much guarantee the water in your engine did not come from a few inches of water in the bilge. i would guess you have two problems to deal with in regard to your boat. i might start by pulling the spark plugs to see if you have a plug that has been washed clean compared to the other two. if you do, i would do a compression check. you might have a head gasket issue.

Thanks for the input. I had the same thought. I pulled all 3 plugs and they were basically brand new.
The radiator coolant is still at the exact same level and hasn't gone down at all compared to how much water was in the oil. After 6 oil changes I have finally gotten the oil looking good.

While I was at the landing with the boat on the trailer in the water, it sprang a leak by the bellows.
I've got the parts on order and will replace the carbon ring and bellows.

Attachments

• Bellows Leak_000.jpg
    Bellows Leak_000.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 14
While I was at the landing with the boat on the trailer in the water, it sprang a leak by the bellows.
I've got the parts on order and will replace the carbon ring and bellows.
Well look at that. No supercharger in the way makes this a reasonable repair project.

I think so too. Pretty good access to things on the motor. And good access the impeller on the outside to pull it out. Never done a bellows and carbon ring. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back