2004 GTX Supercharged ENGINE LIGHT ON

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carapeba

So this is my second Seadoo, purchased (97 GTI) 2 months ago and loved so much but did not like the performance aspect. Needed an upgrade, so yesterday purchased a 2004 GTX Supercharged. Today took it to the lake for the first time. What a difference so much more power and speed, on the speedometer 65mph. AWESOME!!! Performance totally met the expectation.

The only problem is that after about 5 minutes a long beeb and engine light on and a display message: "Check Engine". Also the word MAINT appeared on the display.

I have the coolant level is on max, oil is good too. When I was doing gthe 65mph the RPM gauge was at 8,000 RPM. Is this normal?

As I am a total newbie on Sea-doo's I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks a lot!

What code are you showing? You should be able to plug the lanyard in and hit the set button 5 times to display your code.

If it doesn't show the code you need to have a tech at the dealer scan it to pull the code. Once we know the code we can go from there. By the way, is this the 185hp or the 215hp?

Thanks for all the help. it is a 185hp. In your opinion the fact that does not show the code is potentially a bad sign?

I don't have that much experience with the earlier 4tecs such as the 185hp so I can't say for sure. It may even be a different procedure to get it to show the code. Hoping someone else will chime in that has more experience with those skis.

You have to press the "SET" button 5 times while the alarm is going (not after or before). Try that.

You have to press the "SET" button 5 times while the alarm is going (not after or before). Try that.

I tried to do that but, with the ski in the garage the only beep I get is a long one when I put the key in and followed by three beeps in approximately 8-10 seconds interval. I press the SET button during that but still got the END message. I will it take it to the water tomorrow and try there once the engine light comes on together with the alarm.

So, I could not wait until tomorrow and took the ski to the lake just the try getting the code. Put is on the water rode for 20 min and nothing, no lights no alarm, nothing. Hopefully that will be the end of it. Thanks a lot for the help and I will provide an update tomorrow as I am planning to ride for a longer period.

Cheers!!!!!

So I went back to the lake today and the light came back on. Pushed the set button 5 times and got: P0116
Engine temp sensor faulty.

Is this a easy fix considering that this is all what it wrong with it?

You say the coolant bottle is full so I would replace the sensor. The sensor is at the rear of the cylinder head, on the rt side, just below where the little hose from the coolant bottle attaches to the head. If the connection appears to be good and clean then I would try replacing the sensor. :cheers:

Thanks a lot for the help Dennis. Would you know what is the part number for the sensor so I can try to buy it on-line or where I could find the part numbers?

You say the coolant bottle is full so I would replace the sensor. The sensor is at the rear of the cylinder head, on the rt side, just below where the little hose from the coolant bottle attaches to the head. If the connection appears to be good and clean then I would try replacing the sensor. :cheers:

This! Make sure it has a good clean connection and if it does replace the sensor and you should be good.

I think I have found it. Juts ordered on e-bay part # 278001016 for US $54.94
I will try to replace myself, just a quick question: Should I apply any type of Waterproof Sealant Spray or anything else on the tread?
Or just simply screw it back replacing the faulty sensor.

When you take the old one off see if it has any sealant on the threads. If it does which I assume it does then just use some Teflon tape or equivalent on the threads of the new one.

Fellows, first of all thank you Dennis and Kk40384 for the help. I got the sensor now and will change it this evening. However just a couple of last questions. Do you know if there will be any fluids leaking once I unscrew the faulty sensor?

Lastly do you know if there could be another problem that could cause the engine to heat up to the point to "toast" the sensor, or the sensor is supposed to handle the elevated temperature of the engine even if that was no cooling happening?

...Changed the sensor went back to the lake and surprise, surprise... The same code (P-0116) came up. Obviously there is a overheating problem with the engine, as I also got a message on the LCD display " High Temp". Do you guys have any ideas on what could be the cause for this problem?

Also when I started the engine in the first few minutes I got a beep and the word OIL on my display with a loss of power. Shut it off waited a couple minutes and started again then everything was fine. The oil level is ok.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Check the plug that connects to it. You said sometimes its throwing the code and sometimes it isn't. That maybe we a short on that part of the harness. Check for any exposed or disconnected wires on that pigtail from the plug back. If you have a volt meter check for continuity.

Try this...with the ski on the lift or the trailer...take the seat off...rear storage and center seat mount. There is what looks like a 1/4" rubber line that feeds water to the water box just before the exhaust enters the box. Disconnect that rubber hose and blow through it. Sometimes a small piece of debris will clog that lines intake in the pump. Hopefully blowing through the line will solve the issue.

Reconnect the lines and try out the ski...if it happens agian..hopefully it won't...but if it does..same numbers for a code...pull the pump and check the screen at the top base of the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back