2004 GTX 4-tec Wake edition probs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHWANTZ

I've been looking through the different posts to see if I can find one like my prob. I think I foung one but want to be 100% sure.

So I bought this yesterday and took it for a test drive before hand. It was sitting at a Jet Ski rental joint for about 8 months. When the guy put it in the water (yesterday), it started up just fine. When I got on it, I rode for about 2 min through the wake zone and then took off. I got it up to 45 or so no prob. When I let off the accelerator it died. Took a second to start back up but it did. Took off again and let off throttle and it died.

I got it back to the pier and the guy said that it just needed to have premium gas in it and an engine cleaner put in and then just ran good for a while and it would be fine.

I put new gas in it (93 octane) and an injector cleaner in it. I hooked it up to the hose today and started it. It fires right up no probs. I let it idle for a couple of mins and gave it some throttle and it died. Got it started, idle no prob, throttle... die.

Sorry for the long post but I just want to make sure that when i put it in the water tomorrow it isn't going to keep dying on me. He said that if it kept doing it to me he would check it out for me. I really don't want to waste a good day at the beach sense the oil has not made landfall in Pcola yet.

What does someone thing? Does it just need a good running?? Thanks so much in advance.

Wow, 23 views and no replies. Awesome. Well, i took it out after changing the spark plugs and it kept doing the die thing. After a while, I put the learning key in it and it ran like a top. So, I pulled it in and looked at the regular key and saw some rust on the inside. Scraped that junk off and no more dying. Crazy huh.

Something else for those of you that are interested in helping...

It does, however, not go beyond 51 mph and it stutters when I take off. After I get going, it doesn't do that tho. I called the place I bought it from and dude said to run all the fuel I put in out of it and if it still does it, bring it in.

Sound right? Like it is spinning its "wheels" in the water before take off. Shouldn't it take like RIGHT off?

Please don't make me pull my Military card. Some one help a brother out! :cheers:

OK, OK I'll help!!!:rofl:
If it's reving but not moving at first throttle then it's probably the impeller wear ring. That's the plastic sleeve around the outside of the impeller. If there's too much clearance between it and the impeller then the ski will act as if it has a slipping clutch when you accelerate. Take a flashlite and look up thru the intake grate and see if you see gouges in the wear wing or maybe something wrapped around the drive shaft. Hope this helps, DAWG

I have 2 of those, one tops out at 50-52 and the one that was not used for pulling goes a bit faster but not more then 54-55
I do not think you will be much faster then those numbers,of course non GPS .just on the boat speedo
Dc

Ahh Ha! Thank you both for responding! I knew you people cared. :)

I took that joker out again today. I saw 53 mph a couple of times. Since I have been reading this forum, I now know that I am hitting my rev limiter when I take off. And, yes Dennis I think you are right, it may be the wear ring. Although, I haven't done the flashlight thing yet. Its raining like all get out right now.

Now, I have figured some stuff out on this bad boy lately all by my manself, but might you have a picture of what I need to be looking at? Or is it just that thing at the very end of the ski where I suppose the water shoots out?

BTW I have half a tank left and I take it back to the shop and have them make it right or pay my $ back. I am thinking that the fuel has nothing to do with any of this. AND, it was dying again until it warmed up after like 30 mins. :boxing_smiley:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back