2003 Sportster 155 4-tec help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babounsky

HI,

I owned a 2003 Sportster 4-tec and I need help.

At my last ride Everything runs great and at the end the boat has made a little ''bang'' and it has stop one shot. I know I don't hit the bottom of the lake.
After the boat don't go faster than 10 or 15 mph but the rpm still goes to the top but don't get faster.

Does someone have an idea what can be broke ?

Remove jet pump
Check jet pump impeller splines
Check splines on drive shaft both ends
Drain engine oil before pulling shaft out or lower boat front end and place some rags below the back of engine to collect oil spillage
You will need to remove the C clip from carbon ring before removing jet pump

Remove jet pump
Check jet pump impeller splines
Check splines on drive shaft both ends
Drain engine oil before pulling shaft out or lower boat front end and place some rags below the back of engine to collect oil spillage
You will need to remove the C clip from carbon ring before removing jet pump
Okay Thank you very much

I can tell just looking at that photo that your impeller & wear ring are damaged. impeller blade has a good bend in it and I can see there's some damage to the wear ring. also check the front through the jet nozzle- might be some rocks or sticks in there around the stator. you need to remove the pump, replace the wear ring and at least check on the impeller. ANY damage to the impeller will cause poor performance.

Last edited:
the impeller edge looks damaged to me- marked in red outline in pic below...

Attachments

• IMG_20190814_190912.jpg
    IMG_20190814_190912.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
A lot of times, especially with the boats, when you pull it out of the water, the obstruction clears itself or falls out on it's own. Before doing anything, I'd look closely through both sides for an obstruction and then put it back in the water to test it to make sure it still has the problem. Impeller and wear ring aren't great but I've seen a lot worse and those alone won't make it go only 10mph.

I had the exact same boat- my impeller wasn't much worse than his- I couldn't even get the boat to plane. so, it doesn't take much impeller damage especially with a damaged wear ring.

Best pull the pump and shaft and do a thorough check and find the fault
Do a pump reseal with wearing

when was the pump last overhauled/resealed ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back