2003 Seadoo sportster 4tec Idles Rough, When throttled cuts out

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

burtonx013

I have a 2003 Seadoo Sportster 4tec. The boat was stored for the past year, and upon bringing the boat out to use this past summer, it started up fine, ran good for about 5 min, then when I gave it throttle, it would start running really rough, and just stall out. The previous year, the boat had been running perfectly, no issues what so ever. Now, all the boat does when you start it up, is idle very roughly, and if any throttle is given at all, it immediately stalls out. I thought it could be some bad gas in there, so I siphoned out all the gas in the tank, and added in fresh new premium gas, and it still idles rough and stalls out. No engine work has been done to the boat, I think in total it only has about 100-150 hours of use. I checked the spark plugs, and they all look good. Any thought?

runs bad

No matter how good those spark plugs look..........replace them!

You need (3) NGK DCPR8E plugs. Plugs fix 9 out of 10 4TECS with a running problem. Let us know, DAWG

I would replace the plugs, start it up, and jam the throttle wide open to clean the carbs out..., odds are you have a little old gas in the carbs still, or your floats are sticky in you carbs, and slowly increasing the throttle wont make the floats open fully, so thats probably why it stalls out. If that is the problem, check/clean all your fuel filters/water separators, and if the problem still exists, you might need to rebuild your carbs. Unless it is a simple adjustment on the carbs. When you start it, is there more smoke than usual?

No matter how good those spark plugs look..........replace them!

You need (3) NGK DCPR8E plugs. Plugs fix 9 out of 10 4TECS with a running problem. Let us know, DAWG

Thanks. I did not know this. I will do this first and see what happens.

I would replace the plugs, start it up, and jam the throttle wide open to clean the carbs out..., odds are you have a little old gas in the carbs still, or your floats are sticky in you carbs, and slowly increasing the throttle wont make the floats open fully, so thats probably why it stalls out. If that is the problem, check/clean all your fuel filters/water separators, and if the problem still exists, you might need to rebuild your carbs. Unless it is a simple adjustment on the carbs. When you start it, is there more smoke than usual?

The boat is fuel injected. No carburetors. Also, I followed the fuel line from the tank directly into the engine, and found no fuel filter/water separator. I also looked around in the engine bay for an easily accessible spot where a fuel filter/water separator might be, but found nothing. Any other thoughts other than spark plugs? Thanks again.

Carbs

Your 4TEC is fuel injected. There are no carbs, in-line fuel filter, water separator or adjustments that can be made.

DAWG

Oil Light?

I have a 2003 Seadoo Sportster 4tec. The boat was stored for the past year, and upon bringing the boat out to use this past summer, it started up fine, ran good for about 5 min, then when I gave it throttle, it would start running really rough, and just stall out. The previous year, the boat had been running perfectly, no issues what so ever. Now, all the boat does when you start it up, is idle very roughly, and if any throttle is given at all, it immediately stalls out. I thought it could be some bad gas in there, so I siphoned out all the gas in the tank, and added in fresh new premium gas, and it still idles rough and stalls out. No engine work has been done to the boat, I think in total it only has about 100-150 hours of use. I checked the spark plugs, and they all look good. Any thought?

I recently ran into the same problem with mine and have a question:

Did your oil light come on with the one solid beep that won't stop until you push the ignition button off?

Broward Motor Sports in West Palm Beach said it was my fuse block and changed it out. Still had the same exact problem the next time taking it out.

Please let me know when you can. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back