2003 Mercury EFi oil pump not pumping

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

aqeel rana

I have recently bought a 2003 sea doo speedster. It has a Mercury v6 Efi. I got the boat cheap as I was told it has been sitting for 10 years with only 50 hours on it. I have no way to verify this but the condition of the engine and the boat seem pretty good. I rebuilt the VST with new pumps and replaced the needle valve as it was corroded in. I premixed the fuel and ran the boat and it ran pretty good for a 5 minutes trip. I didn’t want to go longer until I trust the motor. I had marked the remote oil tank before and then checked after. The oil level was unchanged. I realized the oil pump is not working. I took the pump apart and cleaned it good put 12v direct and it clicked and spat. I connected the oil hoses and using a syringe I pumped all the air out. With the output hose not yet connected to the VST following tests were performed. Issues:

When I connect the pump back to connector on boat turn key nothing. No clicking no spitting.

When I connect the pump direct to battery clicking and spitting.

I spliced two wires just before the connector on the boat:

When the connector is not connected the pump it reads 12v when turning the key and then drops to zero.

When the connector is connected to the pump and the key turned 0 volts

When I connect a ground lead from battery to ground lead on connector while it is connected to the pump I get click and a spit from the pump when I turn the key, also get 12v reading. A continuous alarm sounds during this procedure only.

On the pump using a meter on the two pins I have continuity ( meaning my meter beeps). Is this how it should be?

As far as I can tell this pump is a simple plunger solenoid activated pump. (meaning 12v make the coil magnetic)

Is it a grounding issue if so where? Is the pump bad?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Aqeel

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_160524.jpg
    IMG_20201213_160524.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201215_112619.jpg
    IMG_20201215_112619.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 14
That is a metered pump for the oil. It's not going to pump until it needs to. So, unlike an fuel pump... it's not just going to pump "Key on".

Also... the level in the header tank shouldn't change. It's a sealed system, and will refill from the main tank. Not to mention... in 5 min... you will use hardly any oil. I have to be out all day to see a change in my main tank.

There are several tests in the service manual on that pump... but you need a mercury or Rinda scan tool to activate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back