2003 Islandia Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently bought a 2003 Islandia (Merc 250 Opti) and have had it out on the water half a dozen times...having a ball! Dr. Honda and others have been very helpful with regard to a couple questions I've asked about covers (bought the Poppy cover..love it), engine hatch struts (bought on Amazon after recommendation...fantastic) and HydroTurf (just installed it last weekend...fantastic!)....I have a few more specific questions. Forgive me if they have already been asked/answered at another times on this site...I've searched and am learning about the site as I go.

1. Can I use the Mercury Smartgauge on this engine? Is it simply plug (10pin connector) and play? The tach and speedo don't work so I was thinking that if I install this bad mamma jamma and put in in place of the speedo on my dash all my problems would be answered (don't really care about speed, but rpms, temp, engine hours, etc are important to me).
2. Having a dickens of a time locating the full flushing procedure for running this bad boy on the hose. The manual I have leaves after connecting the hose. Anyone have it or can explain it?
3. Bought spark plugs (gap at 40, right?). Does anyone have any tips for replacing, particularly the bottom 2? I'm pretty handy and have experience with 2 strokes from the past. Looks like I've got a bunch of stuff to remove to get at those plugs.
4. I'd love to get my hands on an engine schematic so I could find the various filter locations, etc. Anyone have something like that in a pdf? I'll buy you a beer. Where can I buy replacement fuel filters, water/fuel filters, etc.? Best source?
5. What does the washdown valve at the front of the boat do?
6. Are wear rings really $500?

One tip: if you haven't already discovered the wonder that are Magic Erasers (cleaning section of your grocery store), buy some and keep them on the boat. They are incredible and remove all manner of scuffs, marks, rust stains, etc. Follow that up with some wax and she'll be looking sparkly 25/8.

Thanks in advance, guys,
Russ

Sorry.... Don't know how I missed this one.

1) On the 250 Opti... yes, you should be able to use it. It is plug and play to a point... but It's not dtright forward. You will need a harness, your gauges, and any terminators and adaptors. A call to Mercury's help line will give you all the info needed. FYI... dont' start with "I have a Seadoo"... if you do, they may be confused. Just say, "I have a boat with a 250 Opti sportjet." Have your engine serial number handy.

2) No real procedure here. Just flush it as good as you can. If you are in salt... I would wash down the bilge too.

3) On the Opti... they are just pain in the ass. No tips on that, other than have a few Band-Aids and a beer handy. Sorry.

4) If you become a supporting member here... there is a 250 Opti service manual. Last time I checked, it was $10. You can join for a month, get want you need, and then let it expire. But the money does go to keep this site up.

5) Just a place to hook up a hose to help clean stuf while out on the water. It's fed via the water tank and pump that is in the boat. I use it to fill the kiddy pool/fountain, and to squirt the kids while they are swimming.

6) Yep... nothing about the Merc engine is cheap. BUT... many of us have simply cleaned them up by putting a layer of JB weld in the ring, and filling in the big gouges. BUT... last I check... Improse will install a stainless ring in your aluminum housing for around $400.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
1) Double check the Vin Numbers some of the early 250 Opti didn't have the plug for it, assuming your engine is also 2003 it should work. Mine is a 2005 and has the plug so I plan on putting one on it before next season.

3) To get out the bottom 2 plugs in and out I unplug the injector plugs and zip tie them back out of the way to give a little more room

Last edited:
If you are so inclined I can confirm that the Mercury Vessel View Mobile works perfectly on my 2004 Opti Islandia - with the caveat that a bunch of engine warnings (fuel, oil level , etc) are not connected through the CAN bus so they don't work. Engine temp, fuel flow, RPM, GPS speed, etc etc, all work like a champ.

Thanks Bobbob! I am going to get my EIN and call Merc (Per Dr. Honda) and get more info from them. Hoping to install something in the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back