2003 GTX supercharged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

burtcanasta

Just asking around for any known issues with these.

Also when I insert the key I get 2 beeps and if I dont start it right away I get 3 fast beeps and it wont start until after I remove and reinsert the key. Also the digital display shows maintenance for a few seconds then goes away is this telling me something...please help is anyone has any info on this .

Supercharger should be (should have been) rebuilt. Exhaust valve have a nasty habit of letting go. Older DESS key contacts tend to make an iffy contact - probably why you're having the beep issue.

2 beeps tells you it read the key and is ready to go. 3 beeps is reminding you to run it or pull the key (like a door chime reminding you you left the key in the ignition)

Maint light could be S/C or oil change required. The maint warning has to be reset by BUDS so often this stuff has actually been done but not at a dealer. The valves mention above are _not_ applicable to your machine.. 04 to early 06 215's.. Your 03 should be a 185 and was before the lightened exhaust valves.

Biggest issue with the 03 GTX SC is the plastic pump they used for that year only that eats wear rings. 04 and newer used aluminum.

Maint is the standard interval maintenance that has to be cleared by BUDS or other software but not related to SC which they didn't do until much later years when they realized it was an issue. You can live with it for the few seconds at start up or you can clear it, either way doesn't matter.

While your ski does have the hollow sodium filled valves, the failure rate is much lower due to the lower hp and rpms that your ski sees.

Overall, still a very solid and reliable ski considering it was only the 2nd year of the 4tec motor and the first year of the SC version.

While your ski does have the hollow sodium filled valves, the failure rate is much lower due to the lower hp and rpms that your ski sees.

While I would agree with this for the non-supercharged skis, is this true for the 185HP supercharged ski (it doesn't appear to be the case for the 215HP ski)?

The sodium filled valves are _04_ up to mid 06. They came out in 04 when 215's did to reduce valve float at the higher RPM so you do _not_ have them. Second the valve failure isn't related to hours of running or how hard it was run, they failed due to corrosion at the friction weld between the head and the stem. Machines consistently fogged, stored properly etc lasted much longer vs machines were condensation was allowed to sit in the exhaust port. You can Google how to verify the part number currently in your machine but unless someone played with it, you're good to go.

The 05 currently in my shop however not so lucky :)

Nope, but all 04 up did. Have never found a definitive date in 06 they stopped, but I have a May 06 motor here with them and did a Oct 06 2 years ago with the 75's but no clue if they were original. When Seadoo jumped in at 215hp on the 04 RXT/RXP it put the top RPM into potential float at max RPM and to keep HP up they didn't want extra heavy valve springs so they went light valves. The hollow to reduce weight and the sodium to help dispurse heat. The stem was spun at high speed against the head and the friction caused them to weld together. Constant condensation on the stems caused rust to work into the weld until finally the head would snap off destroying the cylinder head, piston and often the bore as well.

I have a Speedster 200 2006 with 8/2005 engines and 255 hours on them
It still has the old valves
I just picked up the boat and couldn’t believe the hours on it with the bad valves
Has the number 72 marked on the top of valve stem
75 is the better valves

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back