2003 GTX-DI almost sunk... MPEM dead

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkarvelis

I was out on the water yesterday, and the ski died, no display nothing. Pressed the start button, and it restarted. Rode some more and died again. I though it might be a pump or engine seizing, so I drove slowly to the beach to pull the plugs. When I got to the beach, there was about 3 inches of water in the hull. The bailers did not suck any water out. I bummed a ride to grab my other ski to tow it back to the launch. When I got to the launch, the engine was almost covered. I pulled it out, and checked the plugs and checked for water. Nothing. I threw the lanyard on and nothing. DEAD. I checked the fuses on the MPEM and none are blown. I did not check the 30 amp on the rear E-Box. I got home and checked that one too.

I had no water in the EBOX either.

I am lost. I imagine the MPEM is shot, but why? It was not completely submerged. When I got the ski out, I pulled all the plugs on the MPEM and they were dry too.

The only thought is water in the Stator. Would this blow the MPEM?

Once I get it running, I need to find my leak. My gut is saying the carbon seal, but it is new (20 hours). The engine is aligned as it was installed 2 years ago, and not ran much.

Would you switch to a carrier bearing? I have one on my 95 GTS and have no issues.

Bilge pump?

Make sure you check those welding plugs, this is where they break first. It could be a tiny hole but with pressure when running it can fill pretty quick. It could also damage your engine.

She is running... I measured the DC voltage at the MPEM and I did not have ground. Found a dirty ground on the small wire at the battery. Started it and ran for a bit while keeping the carbon seal wet. I need to pull the pump and verify the alignment. The engine has only been in a short time, but something is causing the leak. I will take it to the lake first and see if it is leaking there.

Basically if your hull was filled with 3 inches just after running probably means that the water is entering faster than the bailers can take it out. Unless the bailers are clogged from a very dirty hull.

The bailers are less efficient when the engine is running slowly. If you want to get the water out... wide open in a straight line is most efficient.

If the straws are missing from the bailers at the pump it can force water in instead of sucking it out.

Also if the o-rings are not in place for the bailers that will force water in as well. One of mine was pinched and the ski kept filling up but only when running and in a turn. It was a mind scrambler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back