2003 GTI Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Boy O Boy what I didn't have to do to this ski. Yikes !! Thank goodness, I am finally ready to hit the start button. I had a bit of trepidation when I was checking the wiring in the REAR electric box. This pic is of the "cut off relay". Looks bad to me so I order one. Then I noticed up front there was a red wire removed from a harness then reconnected/spliced at a point farther down the line. So much jack leg work on this ski it has been unbelievable. I believe the jumper further up the line is in place because this "relay" is bad. I hate to change/replace parts on a running ski but this is unacceptable from a quality stand point. I'll post a picture of they adapter that was made later one. GTI Electric (2).jpegGTI Electric (3).jpegGTI Electric (1).jpeg

Last edited:
I thought I was ready to go on this ski till I grabbed the carb. Throttle was stuck, couldn't get the screws out... it was ugly. I won't do one that way again. LOL Couldn't reuse the shaft so I took one out of another carb but it didn't have an accelerator pump. Talked to Matt about removing the pump and because I am impatient decided to modify the Throttle shaft to accept the accelerator pump lever. It was a very tedious job but I got R done. I filed the slot on the shorter throttle shaft so it would accept the accelerator lever so I could maintain the proper timing of the pump actuation. Then I drilled the end of the shaft, tapped it an cut a screw to fit. After a bit of fitting, filing, persuasion, I mounted the part for the final time. I even mixed up some JB Weld to fill in any voids. The fit was good.... this baby is going no where.

That said.... I don't like this carb and have order a kit to rebuild another carb. Matt Braley schooled me on jetting changes needed when you remove the accelerator pump so all that stuff is on order. I'm excited that I am about to start the ski up and hear it run. Seems like most skis I do end up with a top end. :)GTI Carb Repair (1).JPGGTI Carb Repair (2).JPGGTI Carb Repair (3).JPG

I can tell you that the best money I ever spent on our GTI was replacing the carb. I chased a flat spot for 2 years and rebuilt the original cab 3 times and it was never perfect. As you know I’m no stranger to these carbs but nothing would fix it. For the first time ever I threw in the towel and bought a brand new carb from OSD for $250 and the ski ran absolutely perfect, it was a day and night difference. I totally recommend it.

Mine was a California model so they had tamper resistant plugs over them. I removed the plugs to get the screws out for a through cleaning but still no improvement. Hence the new carb with actual standard adjustment screws too.

I'm gonna look closer at mine. I saw a carb on OSD for around $220. I wasn't sure it was a fit. By the time I buy that carb kit and needle and seat I'm almost half-way there as far as cost is concerned. :)

I know the cost of kits every few years to the cost of a new carb every few years some here like Sportster just started replacing the carb instead of rebuilding them.

I'm gonna give the carb I fixed a try and see what it does. The carb internals aren't all that healthy.
I'm sure it will run but we'll see how well. I like going down paths like this because it helps me establish parameters for future repairs. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back