2003 4tec sc continuous beep.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

benzico

Hello,new here, and new to 4 stroke seadoo's.
I have a 2003 gtx 4tec that is giving a continuous beep after a couple of minutes on the water. My gauges do not work and have not done for a two years! so i cannot check for flashing lights or fault codes. When the beeping started the engine went into limp mode, at this point i stopped the engine and took the seat off. Coolant and oil levels looked normal, the engine did not seem really hot and the exhaust was cool enough to hold. I restarted the ski and very slowly went to shore. After a few minutes i checked the oil and coolant again, both good, i then removed the expansion tank cap and the system did not seem over pressured and i had no other signs of leakage.
I was thinking and hoping that it was maybe a bad temp sensor so i disconnected the engine temp sensor and started the ski up, about 30 secs after pulling away the beep was back so i stopped the ski got towed back. I reconnected the engine temp sensor and did the same test with the exhaust temp sensor and got the the same result.
Got home, flushed ski then checked the levels again, both good. I then checked the resistance values of both sensors ,ok, and check continuity from sensors to ecu, again good.
Sorry for the long post, especially as its my first, and I also have a couple of questions for anybody who might be able to help.
1. Do you have to clear a overheat alarm, ie do a reset of some sort ?
2. Is a real overheat alarm the same as a bad temp sensor alarm,ie do you get a continuous beep if the sensor circuit is bad.
Thanks for any help.:thumbsup:

There is no reset. The beeping will be the same. You are either going to have to get the gauge to function or get someone with a scanner to get the code/s. Is the gauge fuse blown?

Thanks for the reply.
I have investigated a bit further and i am pretty sure its the head gasket. I removed the rocker cover and there are signs of water ingression, milky residue. The oil on the dipstick was really clean so i removed the oil filter and the oil looked a bit cloudy. It seems that the water is collecting under the rocker cover so it must be the head gasket, if anyone thinks different please let me know.
Can i do a HG change with the engine in the ski, or is it better to take the whole lump out?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back