2002 Seadoo GTX RFI engine alignment plate / shaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

curtisethridge

Hey Guys !
New to this group and got a question. Does anyone know where I can find a used 2002 Seadoo GTX RFI engine alignment tool ( plate and shaft ) ? I have a new 787 engine I got from SBT ( okay, no one throw rocks at me for buying it from them ! lol :) and I want to align it before taking it to the lake. Any suggestion on where I might can get that tool or rent one for under that $300 mark ??

Part # 80-103B ( SBT #)

SeaDoo # 295 000 141 and 529 035 507

Any suggestions would be much appreciated !

Curt

Try to find someone local with a tool. I've helped a couple people in my area. Go to Green Hulk, That's where I found my tool. You want a really good alignment.

Try to find someone local with a tool. I've helped a couple people in my area. Go to Green Hulk, That's where I found my tool. You want a really good alignment.
Yeah, I have checked locally and they have the tool but they don’t rent it and if pay them to do it I have to wait well over a month before they can get me in..

I guess you could use your pump for an alignment tool but I don't know how close it would be in the end. Get some solid shaft material the diameter of the pump bearings, You could have someone machine then end of the shaft to fit into the spline. I wouldn't do that but it would be better than nothing.

I thought people rented these out?

I'm in Pearl River, LA. If you're in the neighborhood you can use mine but I'm not supplying shims and you do your own alignment. LOL

On a side note, I just helped a guy out by aligning his engine. I told him I'd line it up for 50 bucks., you know, just to help. I need my azz kicked. I let him have the shims for free and it was a lot of shims, his alignment was out a MILE. 2 and a half hours and Who knows how many shims or the value. I don't mind and I 'm not complaining but I chalked that one up to.... never freakin A-gin!! LOL I'm stoopit though, I'll probably do it agin. LOL Nobody wants to help these people and they have no one to turn to. Ah Well.... C'est Lavie. :D :D

Last edited:
I'm in Pearl River, LA. If you're in the neighborhood you can use mine but I'm not supplying shims and you do your own alignment. LOL

On a side note, I just helped a guy out by aligning his engine. I told him I'd line it up for 50 bucks., you know, just to help. I need my azz kicked. I let him have the shims for free and it was a lot of shims, his alignment was out a MILE. 2 and a half hours and Who knows how many shims or the value. I don't mind and I 'm not complaining but I chalked that one up to.... never freakin A-gin!! LOL I'm stoopit though, I'll probably do it agin. LOL Nobody wants to help these people and they have no one to turn to. Ah Well.... C'est Lavie. :D :D
Man, that’s raw that guy did not pay you for the shims. Regardless of you offering them up he should have paid ya !
Pearl is a long ways from where I am but I thank you for the offer !

My recent alignment experience... the first time I removed the motor and re-aligned (almost 20 yrs since new), the alignment was off by a stupid amount. I had to buy 2 shim packs to make it right. Probably should have bought new mounts it was so off.

I then had to pull the motor again (long story) shortly after. The next time I put it in the alignment was so good I didn't even have to adjust. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe its far more important after long periods of time...

My theory is that either the factory alignment was hit or miss or these hulls sag over the 20 or so years of sitting on a trailer and the alignment is off pretty bad once they are finally checked. Pretty sure it is the latter.

I started doing aligment checks when I removed jet pumps just to see where most skis were. I wanted a data point for my own personal perspective. Every now and then one is decently aligned. For all the rest they range from bad to pitiful. Bad alignment can greatly shorten engine life and can also cost you horsepower. On this particular ski 1997 GTI 3 engine mounts had become detached. Even after the alignment you could hear looseness in the engine and it vibrated. Everything was worn out BUT.... it ran and is still running. He has to tighten the bolts every now and again and the carb bolts backed out but his son rides it. LOL

Bad Alignment.jpg

I also experimented with doing an eyeball alignment using the jet pump (installed) at drive shaft. I did the best I could on the alignment and when I installed the alignment set up the alignment was out BIG TIME. I determined then and there that there is only one way to do it and get it close. The right way. If you get a hankerning to drive to Pearl River, LA I'm outside a lot playing with Seadoo 2-strokes. I'll be happy to let you use my rig. Take Care and Happy Holiday !!!

I also experimented with doing an eyeball alignment using the jet pump (installed) at drive shaft. I did the best I could on the alignment and when I installed the alignment set up the alignment was out BIG TIME. I determined then and there that there is only one way to do it and get it close. The right way. If you get a hankerning to drive to Pearl River, LA I'm outside a lot playing with Seadoo 2-strokes. I'll be happy to let you use my rig. Take Care and Happy Holiday !!!
Lol ! Exactly, that’s why I’m trying to run down this tool. I’m a 33 year mechanic in the natural gas industry. Close only counts in horse shoes when it comes to this kind thing and Im not guessing at this after buying a new engine. Thanks for the offer bud ! Sure wish I were closer. You guys have a safe holiday and take care !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back