2002 Seadoo GTX or 2009 Seadoo GTI Please Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaka09

Ok so I know I am going to get ridiculed for this post lol but I really need to know so any help anyone can provide would greatly be appreciated. A couple weeks ago I bought a Sea doo. I was told by seller, paper work for ski, and look up of HIN on back plate (which matches paperwork) shows it as a 2002 Sea doo (well actually Bombardier). I bought it for below market value here in AZ so of course it needs some things. This is where I started getting a little suspicious. When looking up and buying parts nothing matched or is machining up. I am searching 2002 Sea doo GTX 4tec. So, I start looking at ski more and find a sticker that says it meets 2009 emission standards. Now I am getting worried 2009 wtf it is a 2002. So, I do a little more research and look at engine tag and it says date of manufacture is 03/2009. I contact Fish and Game here in Arizona In AZ Fish and Game handles Watercraft Registration) and give them the only HIN number I have which is one on Registration and back of ski hull and they state it is not stolen and registered to person I bought it off of but comes back as a 2002 Sea doo. When I stated my suspicions too her of it being a 2009 and why I thought that she stated that more than likely it was a motor swap and could not tell me any more info that what I already know from registration and HIN plate on back. She did tell me to check under battery for second vin which I did but nothing was there except to recessed holes not all the way thru hull. I have searched all over for second VIN but cannot find it. Some say it is under gas tank on older models but would really like to know if HIN will be under gas tank before removal as that is not an easy job. Does anyone have experience with 2009 Sea doo GTI (which is what I actually think it is) and know where 2nd HIN is for sure? Or does anyone know how I can take Engine number and get any info from it? I was even thinking about buying pricey Can Doo software just to get HIN out of ECM or ECU whatever it is called on a Sea doo. Does anyone know if the software will give me HIN of ski the ECM belongs to? I do have a couple grand into Ski so would suck if it was stolen but I would rather know and lose the couple grand then go to jail for a stolen ski. Plus, I have had quads stolen before and know how it feels so if it is stolen getting back to original owner is the right thing to do. Again, Fish and Game and Local PD will only run HIN on back of hull and register it as a 2002 that HIN matches up too. They will not look into it any further from what I have been told. Any help anyone can provide would be more then greatly appreciated.

If the engine was swapped "along with the accessories on it", good chance the engine computer and electrical system had to be as well.

A Candoo will give you a hull VIN and engine number.

The excerpt below is from the Candoo manual.

1668823292100.png

Last edited:
The second HIN is under the fuel tank for both 2002 and 2009 models and not that difficult to get to. Drain all the fuel, unhook the straps and lift it from the front and you will see it.

Before you do anything, just post pics of the ski, gauges, and the engine and I'll tell you exactly what year you have for everything.

Putting a 2009 engine into a 2002 is a pretty simple swap. All the 4tec blocks are basically interchangeable up to 2015 but newer ones require a little modification depending on what all you swap. It's more likely that they just swapped the engine and kept all the 2002 electronics which is pretty straight forward if you know what you are doing since some parts have to be reused from the 2002.

The second HIN is under the fuel tank for both 2002 and 2009 models and not that difficult to get to. Drain all the fuel, unhook the straps and lift it from the front and you will see it.

Before you do anything, just post pics of the ski, gauges, and the engine and I'll tell you exactly what year you have for everything.

Putting a 2009 engine into a 2002 is a pretty simple swap. All the 4tec blocks are basically interchangeable up to 2015 but newer ones require a little modification depending on what all you swap. It's more likely that they just swapped the engine and kept all the 2002 electronics which is pretty straight forward if you know what you are doing since some parts have to be reused from the 2002.
Thank you here is the gauge cluster as I have it out due to not being readable and was going to try and fix

Attachments

• Cluster Pic Front.jpg
    Cluster Pic Front.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Seadoo.jpg
    Seadoo.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 18
That's definitely a 2009. I would check the 2nd HIN and see if it's stolen. Could just be a lost title situation which in that case you will be fine.

That's definitely a 2009. I would check the 2nd HIN and see if it's stolen. Could just be a lost title situation which in that case you will be fine.
Yeah I figured it was I am going to drain gas and check under tank. Guess if it isnt stolen then I scored but not very hope full as why would someone put a HIN plate matching a 2002 unless something to hide well thanks for your help and wish me luck will post here when I find out.

Well Got tank out and sure enough it was there not in front but middle side under black rubber under tank and as I figured it does not match. When I look up on NICB does not come back stolen but going to check with AZ Fish and Game and California DMV since comes back as a 2009 Seadoo last registered in Califonia. FML

I think you will be fine but I would also check with your local seadoo dealer as well.

Not sure how your state is set up but ideally you file for and obtain a title for the 2009. You can remove the HIN under the tank and put it at the rear so it looks identical and perfect like it came from the factory and then you can have an aftermarket replacement made for under the tank.

If it comes back as clean, I'd be happy with that. I'd much rather have a 2009 GTI than a 2002 GTX! Those early GTX had all kinds of issues with the engine (which is likely why they changed it).

It came back clean not stolen now I need to take to fish and game and see how they want to handle registration

So just to keep your story straight… your visible VIN on the rear of the ski is for a 2002 GTX. The engine manufacture date is 2009. And the hull VIN under the gas tank is a 2009 GTI?

So your assumption is that the ski likely is all original GTI and correct for a 2009 GTI, but for a reason that you will never know, someone replaced the rear visible VIN plate with a 2002 GTX VIN plate? That is pretty weird… But weird things happen.

They maybe did not have a title for the 2009 and were not able to obtain one for some reason. Granted what they did was likely illegal.

Those early GTX had all kinds of issues with the engine (which is likely why they changed it).
The early 4tecs were extremely reliable right from the initial production start. A few minor problems started when they added horsepower a couple years later and even then they were very reliable.
for a reason that you will never know, someone replaced the rear visible VIN plate with a 2002 GTX VIN plate? That is pretty weird… But weird things happen.
This happens a lot especially when skis get older and the values go down. Some states make it very difficult to obtain replacement titles without the titled owner reapplying even though it wasn't stolen. I would say it happens way more for lost titles than it does on stolen skis. Thieves generally aren't smart enough to replace HIN plates.

Some states have procedures for obtaining titles for abandoned vehicles or a process to get a replacement title by the new owner but most don't and probably because there isn't enough money in it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back