2002 RX Very Hard to Start at Beginning of Season

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

robself705

Hey everyone,

I have two identical 2002 Seadoo RX carbed skis and the past two seasons have had just the hardest time getting one of them started the first day of the year. This year it took around three hours of choking, cranking, engine kicks over, then dies, charge the battery, repeat. I finally got out a suction oil change pump and hooked it to the fuel line to see if there was a fuel issue or even fuel getting to the carbs. Under suction there were intermittent pockets of air and fuel, I changed the on/res switch repeatedly while doing this to break up any sediment in there. I replaced the fuel filter and o-ring at the top of the bowl and tightened the fuel hose clamps on the fuel tank and carb.

I finally got it started and running on the hose, launched it, and it runs perfectly now. Started it the next day with a quick choke and it's like there was never an issue.

I'm suspecting a few different things:
  • The original (?, not first owner) fuel lines are dried out and may have a crack somewhere
  • The fuel selector switch is dried out and leaking air
  • The diaphragm and seals in the carbs are old and stiff and leak / need to be replaced
Since it runs great now, my guess is the fuel has moistened some dry rubber somewhere that is no longer causing a problem. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

I'm going to replace the fuel selector and then was thinking about having a local shop do a full carb rebuild and replace all the fuel lines on both. They run great other than the early season starting issues.

Truly, you can sevice the carbs yourself, there is super detailed link at the top by miki , its possible, that you have/had some partial blockages in the carb,,and the fuel flow "cleared/cleaned"it out. The fuel selectors don't normally dry out, but get "spongy" because the diaphram in the selector softens over time, and eventually hinders fuel flow.

Yes full carb and fuel system service is highly recommend. It really is a maintenance item.

Remember if you get any fuel restrictions or air leaks on the water you will seize your engine.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I'd love to rebuild them myself but with a new job just won't be able to find the time.

Will plan to do the carbs and fuel lines.

Another question regarding the accelerator pump, did all the Sea Doo RX come from the factory with one installed? Square or round style?

I'm reading that you can pump the throttle to pre-prime the carbs, is that the case and is this better than just cranking with the choke on startup?

Did you do a compression check? If that turns out well I'd do the whole fuel system. Lots of good advice here so far so.... Good Luck !!

Another question regarding the accelerator pump, did all the Sea Doo RX come from the factory with one installed? Square or round style?

I'm reading that you can pump the throttle to pre-prime the carbs, is that the case and is this better than just cranking with the choke on startup?
Yes, they all had the accelerator pumps. Not sure what years changed round or square.

If there is still some fuel in the pump yes, it can act like a primer but the choke is still suggested as it helps pull fuel into the carbs.

RX.jpg
Here they are, great condition for 2002s!

Compression was great last year, but I'll check again.

Thanks for all the help!

Wow, those things look minty fresh!
Get some Poppy covers for them to keep them looking like new.

Wow, those things look minty fresh!
Get some Poppy covers for them to keep them looking like new.
Not to thread jack but I’ve always wondered how long poppy covers last?
Been thinking about getting one for the RX project since it’s gonna be stored outside. But man that price tag is hard to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back