2002 GTX Di

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would just fear not seating the pump correctly trying to go from the top...Is all im getting at you dont want to have a flow problem those are motor killers 0__o

I would first rule out a weak battery
Check that the system is charging, DI's don't' take well to a weak charging system,,,you will get the 12 volts low maintenance come up.
Is the fuel filter clean
Is the sock at the bottom of the canister clean,,(I have never been that lucky,,,that the sock was the problem).
Is there proper compression,,,did you look through the rav valve port for scoring on the xhaust/hot side side of the piston?
You checked all your connections

You sure your compression gauge is accurate?

Yes. I've checked it with 2 different gauges. Same readings.

I would first rule out a weak battery
Check that the system is charging, DI's don't' take well to a weak charging system,,,you will get the 12 volts low maintenance come up.
Is the fuel filter clean
Is the sock at the bottom of the canister clean,,(I have never been that lucky,,,that the sock was the problem).
Is there proper compression,,,did you look through the rav valve port for scoring on the xhaust/hot side side of the piston?
You checked all your connections

Battery is brand new. I don't get any warning lights at all.

Fuel filter and fuel filter sock are brand new. Fuel pressure is within spec between filter and injectors.

I removed the raves and didn't see any scoring. The engine was rebuilt by a shop. The piston and cylinder walls couldn't be in better shape. I put a bore scope in the spark plug hole.

Compression is 150. Both cylinders.

I've checked all connections. Nothing is loose. I also don't get any warning lights at all.

Bout ready to burn it to the ground. I feel like it's something so simple that I'm just over looking it, taking it for granted.

Attachments

• 44A933EF-C9DF-4AC4-BCCB-8A6646F3F453.jpeg
    44A933EF-C9DF-4AC4-BCCB-8A6646F3F453.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16
So no maintenance lights. That leads me to believe it is fuel related.
Have you pulled the spark plugs and what do they look like. Brown to slightly ash is good. Black usually means fuel injectors need cleaning. Super easy to remove and have cleaned.
Most anything else will throw a code.

Just a thought, and I am reaching here, have you pulled the jet pump and checked to see if it is binding up due to a bearing or something going bad?

I would send your injectors off to the fuel injector man for service. bout a 2 week turn around. I had a bad injector that didn't throw any trouble codes and they need to be done every other season anyhow.

I would send your injectors off to the fuel injector man for service. bout a 2 week turn around. I had a bad injector that didn't throw any trouble codes and they need to be done every other season anyhow.

That was going to be my next thing. Just pull the whole injector rail? Or what normal gets sent in?

So no maintenance lights. That leads me to believe it is fuel related.
Have you pulled the spark plugs and what do they look like. Brown to slightly ash is good. Black usually means fuel injectors need cleaning. Super easy to remove and have cleaned.
Most anything else will throw a code.

Just a thought, and I am reaching here, have you pulled the jet pump and checked to see if it is binding up due to a bearing or something going bad?

When I pulled the plugs to change them. The old ones were a bit black and kind of wet with fuel. I will pull the new ones to see what they look like.

I just replaced the wear ring and everything looks good with the pump, but then again. I'm new to anything marine, but everything spins freely. This problem was present before I did the wear ring.

That was going to be my next thing. Just pull the whole injector rail? Or what normal gets sent in?

When I pulled the plugs to change them. The old ones were a bit black and kind of wet with fuel. I will pull the new ones to see what they look like.

I just replaced the wear ring and everything looks good with the pump, but then again. I'm new to anything marine, but everything spins freely. This problem was present before I did the wear ring.
Pull all 4 injectors off of the rail and just send those in. 2 air and 2 fuel.

If your plugs were black and wet, as said above, send your injectors out.

Okay. Got them pulled. Looks like one air injector? (The Grey one) tip is black. The other is clean. Seems odd.

Also attached a picture of mah plug. To rich.

Picture of piston top/cylinder just for funzies

Attachments

• 37DAABA6-F97A-4F71-A35A-64E7898A6B55.jpeg
    37DAABA6-F97A-4F71-A35A-64E7898A6B55.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 33
  • FC685CA4-908D-4C83-8646-3DCECA4FC4A8.jpeg
    FC685CA4-908D-4C83-8646-3DCECA4FC4A8.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 35
  • E76A7AD7-9007-429D-893E-A9C5609598BF.jpeg
    E76A7AD7-9007-429D-893E-A9C5609598BF.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 8BA2E824-3F6D-4FFD-9725-F68B2042A655.jpeg
    8BA2E824-3F6D-4FFD-9725-F68B2042A655.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Looks like you were not getting a good spray i would send them off before buying more parts.. Almost looks like its wearing out the middle of the piston there

Okay. Got them pulled. Looks like one air injector? (The Grey one) tip is black. The other is clean. Seems odd.

Also attached a picture of mah plug. To rich.

Picture of piston top/cylinder just for funzies

Did you check the air pressure out of the compressor?,,,should be around 80,,.There are a lot of sensors on that DI..2 in the intake,,,1 on each side,,,.did you have a scanner on to rule out those sensors and the TPS?
Do you happen to have a bud that you can swap rails with? That would save you a lot of diagnosis!...There are quite a few untube car videos on how to clean out your injector,,,using a 9 volt battery, and a can of carb cleaner,,,(I did it once), quite simple actually. That could save you a lot of time,,,and money.

I must add, that's years ago, I foolishly chased down plugs that weren't light brown on a DI,,,turns out that a dealers mechanic informed me, that is what they look like on the trailor.,,I believe that under 1500 rpm,,,the computer shuts down a cylinder momentarily to save on fuel,,,(and maybe emissions),,,,The DI was stupidly and hastily, designed to meet new California Air Resources Board (CARB) lower emission standards,,,2 strokes were banned on many lakes,,,it was a bad time for 2 strokes in the wrong area.
The DI set up has so many variables,,,a diagnosis nightmare,,,and of course, once they invented the 4tec,,,they stopped putting it it on PWC's,,,but not on jet boats for couple years,,,,yup,,,just got 2004 DI jet boat ithat Exlpoded on the owner,
I think I would scan the computer, and try to find a good working fuel rail to swap with to quicken your diagnosis and save time and money.

I must add, that's years ago, I foolishly chased down plugs that weren't light brown on a DI,,,turns out that a dealers mechanic informed me, that is what they look like on the trailor.,,I believe that under 1500 rpm,,,the computer shuts down a cylinder momentarily to save on fuel,,,(and maybe emissions),,,,The DI was stupidly and hastily, designed to meet new California Air Resources Board (CARB) lower emission standards,,,2 strokes were banned on many lakes,,,it was a bad time for 2 strokes in the wrong area.
The DI set up has so many variables,,,a diagnosis nightmare,,,and of course, once they invented the 4tec,,,they stopped putting it it on PWC's,,,but not on jet boats for couple years,,,,yup,,,just got 2004 DI jet boat ithat Exlpoded on the owner,
I think I would scan the computer, and try to find a good working fuel rail to swap with to quicken your diagnosis and save time and money.
You will find conflicting answers on internet forums, but I recently consulted a real DI guru and he confirmed that the DI does NOT shut down a cylinder at idle. Non-DI's do this though. There is no mention in the DI service manual of a single cylinder idle. My ski is having fuel pressure problems and will not idle on the PTO cylinder alone. I plan to replace the fuel pump at labor day and confirm for sure that the DI will idle fine on each cylinder alone.

I apologize,,,and am humbled,,,it was from an experienced source...I have spent too many precious hours trying to diagnose a temperamental DI...Maybe some day, an after market pump will eventually work and resurrect all the DI's in jet ski purgatory.
It's like the 785 ,,,,where both plugs fire at the same time,,,what a waste of spark that was,,,And this is even more bizarre,,,the rear electrical box...where you are to ground your plugs,,,to the pins,,,,well,,,I took it apart,,,and the ground plugs are connected to each other,,,and are not In fact not grounded AT ALL to anything but each other,,,which fire at the same time,,,!!!,,,how does that work may I ask?

I apologize,,,and am humbled,,,it was from an experienced source...I have spent too many precious hours trying to diagnose a temperamental DI...Maybe some day, an after market pump will eventually work and resurrect all the DI's in jet ski purgatory.
It's like the 785 ,,,,where both plugs fire at the same time,,,what a waste of spark that was,,,And this is even more bizarre,,,the rear electrical box...where you are to ground your plugs,,,to the pins,,,,well,,,I took it apart,,,and the ground plugs are connected to each other,,,and are not In fact not grounded AT ALL to anything but each other,,,which fire at the same time,,,!!!,,,how does that work may I ask?
They are actually grounded via a plug from the electrical box same plug your 30a fused wire runs from or should be

They are actually grounded via a plug from the electrical box same plug your 30a fused wire runs from or should be
When I figure out how to post a pic. ,I will,,.believe me,,,and I have been in that electrical box over 100 times,,,the ground pins are only connected to each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back