2001 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrH20

Good Evening,
I've recently purchased a 2001 Speedster in excellent shape. In this forum I have read several threads relating to the water intake grates. I believe the boat I bought (haven't picked it up yet) has the surge intake. Does anyone know where i can pick up a fixed grate? I live in Canada but it doesn't matter where it comes from as I have an office in Buffalo N.Y.
Thank you for your help.
cheers,
Geo.

Grates....

Geo, I have spent the last 20 minutes using my search engines to find something compatable with the M2 grate and am coming up empty handed. This motor was only used in SeaDoo from 2000 to about 2004, I believe. So now, it seems that it's becoming a hard to find type product.
I would point out, my Challenger has the drop down grates and I wouldn't have anything but. It doesn't matter what type grate you get, your still going to suck stuff in. If you get a fixed grate, your putting yourself in a position to be stranded.
Last year, I sucked my ski rope in, as soon as the motor started, I realized I had it out. Shut it down and gave the rope a tug.....yeah, it was caught. I pulled the handle to drop it down and was able to diver under the water and clean out the rope, then drive home.
I don't think there's a trash proof grate on the market anywhere.
Sorry, I did try though...............................:cheers:

grates

Thank you seadoosnipe for trying to find a grate. I just kept hearing all the horror stories about tines breaking off and creating huge problems. Perhaps I'll just keep the original one on and see what happens.
Thanks again,
Geo.

components....

If your in the forum long enought, you'll hear from other people about this or that breaking.....but if you look at that as being 1/10% of all Sea-Doo owners, the statistics really aren't bad. I haven't heard of broken tines, just complaints about wood or other debris getting into them.
That's going to happen, no matter where you are. It would depend in what type of water shed you ride in.
I love my drop down grate system. Here, in Dog River, it's not the cleanest water in the world, but I've only had to drop it two times. Once for my tangled ski rope and another for a plastic soda bottle......that's it...
I think you have the right idea. Give the one you have a try, see how it works out. If the M2 has a problem with tines breaking, I would probably inspect it more often when bringing the boat home.
And too, I think if there are people with these breaking......are they the kind that like to beach there boat? Beacing the boat, putting unusual pressure on the intake system, may weakin or break the tines.........
Just a little food for thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back