2001 seadoo utopia 185 newb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new used 01 seadoo utopia 185 with the mercury 200 optimax serial# oe396862 for a first boat to toy around with. Was curious where I could find any manuals for the engine all I’ve come up with so far was outboard stuff. Its been sitting abit as guy I got it from was older and didn’t use much any more. Took it out last week and everything works good only issues were Speedo and was acting as it was starved for fuel at times when trying to give decent throttle for minute didn’t stall but was cutting till I’d let up. Cruised around for about 2 hours with it. Going by part numbers on filters and spark plugs I’ve got new stuff to tune up wanted to do spark plug wires also why there but couldn’t determine what I’d need any manuals I’ve found weren’t the same layout.

Don’t mind the story was getting everything I could think in there lol

if you upgrade to a premium membership here... you can download everything you need.
See button on top of this site

Thanks ^ I had it out today putting around runs smoother after tune up but definitely hitting a limiter at 300 rpm, will go all day till trying to bump over 300 can even take off but it cuts over 300 have to draw back to almost neutral than can accelerate again. I searched and seen stuff about the guardian box was hoping to find one on mine as that sounds like exact issue, but apparently my 01 doesn’t have it.

Thanks ^ I had it out today putting around runs smoother after tune up but definitely hitting a limiter at 300 rpm, will go all day till trying to bump over 300 can even take off but it cuts over 300 have to draw back to almost neutral than can accelerate again. I searched and seen stuff about the guardian box was hoping to find one on mine as that sounds like exact issue, but apparently my 01 doesn’t have it.

300rpm???? Details matter- a lot. I don't think the engine will run at 300rpm.
Would you care to revise? I have to guess that you mean 3000rpm. I think you have other problems besides spark plug wires.

Have you checked:
Compression (all plugs out, WOT, NOT in the water.
Air pressure.
Fuel pressure.
Spark x6.

^ edited the rpm details lol had a diesel on the brain. Haven’t done much checking still educating myself but have no reason to think it’s not firing all plugs till it hits the limit or limp mode. I need to download Manuel’s and dig in when time allows.

key the engine on and unplug all fuel pumps but one make sure they are all turning on they should all prime had a similar issue found my low pressure fuel pump wasnt working

^ thanks I know theres a high and low pressure pump is there more than that?
I did hard wire the low pressure pump last Saturday and filled a 5 gallon gas can just to make sure it didn’t cut out at all

^ thanks I know theres a high and low pressure pump is there more than that?
I did hard wire the low pressure pump last Saturday and filled a 5 gallon gas can just to make sure it didn’t cut out at all
there is a lift pump low pressure pump and a high pressure pump the lift pump is the first then the low pressure pump, those are both external mounted pumps after that theres a high pressure pump internal to the vst tank

there is a lift pump low pressure pump and a high pressure pump the lift pump is the first then the low pressure pump, those are both external mounted pumps after that theres a high pressure pump internal to the vst tank
The lift pump is the one I had jumped then I was assuming it was low. I’ll have to check them out

The lift pump is the one I had jumped then I was assuming it was low. I’ll have to check them out
like i said unplug all of them except one key it on you should hear the pump turn on at key on engine off. do this for all three if you find one not working then thats the pump your chasing check for power and ground at connector with good test light if you have good power and ground replace pump

like i said unplug all of them except one key it on you should hear the pump turn on at key on engine off. do this for all three if you find one not working then thats the pump your chasing check for power and ground at connector with good test light if you have good power and ground replace pump
All three of them primed, was hoping to have a no show

then i would check current draw of the pumps the manual has a spec on what passes and what doesnt just to ensure its not pump related

I did get into it last Saturday near perfect engine compression fuel pressures spot on air pressure was off 3 psi. What I did come up with though was spark plugs were wrong number so gapped at 30 instead of 41. Wanted to put in water again Sunday to see how it was but my truck decided it wanted to have an issue I gotta fix first. Hopefully try this weekend weather permitting. I’ll be bringing my fuel pressure gauge just to check pressures if needed

This is going to seem a bit odd but check the tensioner on the drive belt.
If there is one driving a compressor on your model.
If the belt slips it will effect your performance.
Check the drive belt too for wear.

Last edited:
^ Thats not odd being it drives compressor, belt and tensioner look and function good though but i do plan a new belt when i get to it just because.

Took it out today for a bit was much improved for 10 15 minutes even cruised about 35 with minimal throttle then decided it would go back to limp mode and not pass 3000 rpms without cutting back. Of course forgot to bring fuel pressure gauge to check that and air while on water

I ordered the techmate pro and cable yesterday to hopefully make life easier for me on it lol. I don’t like having something I can’t hook a scan tool on so needed anyway.

I have the exact same boat ...... 2001 Seadoo 185 with 200 Merc Optimax jet Drive

Can you tell me which diagnostics kit I should get ? techmate pro ?

It’s the rinda techmate pro and 94028 cable if I ordered right. Now if it ever ships it’ll be nice.

I was Leary about having a labtop out on the water if I had to so decided on a handheld. I haven’t missed carrying a labtop for tuning also lol

Was dropping fuel pressure
Top of fuel tank was dipped in removed sending unit to look and pick up tube was jammed on bottom of tank. Couldn’t get it out so tapped tank for new pickup and removed check valve and just used a open barb fitting. Helped but didn’t fix would still die out after 15ish minutes. Crossed all Mercury part numbers and replaced all fuel pumps with aftermarket, ran on garden hose dropped in water no start. Checked wasn’t building fuel pressure immediately why cranking put old high pressure pump in as assumed it was the check valve in snout fired up on hose, (still plan to put new one in when the mood strikes).I wasn’t convinced that was all the issues the way it would be good for 10 15 minutes before going limp so replaced crank sensor ,power relay removed lanyard button and noticed if I tapped on key switch while it was on it would cycle like it was being turned off and on, so replaced that also. Ran like new for hours when I took it out last Saturday

Don’t mind the book was trying to detail

Wow... great info. Appreciate the detail.

I have the same boat (new to me in May), engine #0E396902. Had a couple restart issues when I first got it and found fuel on the air side. Now have 3 new diaphragms on fuel reg, air reg, and tracker. Re-flowed injectors while fuel rail was out. Cost me $$$ (done by mech) but gives us peace of mind to know it's running right.

Very interested to know how the diag kit works, I would like to have something avail on board.

Glad to hear all is well now.

Tony

Thanks
My only complaints with the rinda was can’t log air or fuel pressure can log all other sensors. I wouldn’t mind just having decent smart gauge set up if there available for the 01 to make logging stuff easier I haven’t looked into it to much yet, I know theres a harness in engine compartment though. All the test features on the rinda and ability to prime the oil pump if I have the need make it a decent purchase I’d say though if planning to work on it yourself. Can see engine hours on it also mines a baby only had 90 on it first time I hooked up to it

Wow that's not a lot of use... it is a baby!

Mine had 256hrs and the original spark plugs when I took it to the mechanic... the plugs were still perfect but of course we changed them anyway.

I am thinking of giving vessel view a shot even if it's not technically compatible per the small print. I see the the harness in there, too... Hope is a strategy, yes? Unfortunately, I need to wait until I change to a fixed grate (weed grate still looks brand new... but...) and rework my impeller/ring/stator (they're a bit dinged up). Otherwise I'm in pretty good shape...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back