2001 Sea Doo Challenger 240EFI M2 Sport Jet Starts, Runs, Won't Restart

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Have you measure the resistance of the air and water temp sensors? Did you check fuel pressure with engine running, it can increase from what you measure key on engine off. I tried adding some injector cleaner directly to the water separator cannister. I was having fast leak down of fuel pressure with key off, I thought injectors were leaking, I loosened the intake and pulled it loose just a half inch, I pressured fuel system several times and watched/smelled for fuel leaking from injectors, saw no signs. I think the check valve in fuel system was causing my fast leak down. For me a bad fuel pressure regulator cause high fuel pressure engine idling, new one fixed my smoking and helped hot restart issue.

July 2022 update: I took the boat away for July 4th week and it continued to start cold always then run fine then refuse to start when hot. THEN, it refused to start even cold for several days. Actually, it would start and cycle 2-4 Revs but then starter would disengage and it would stall. Finally, one day it started and ran so we went out and ran it. During that run, it ran fine at WOT but when I backed the throttle down, the RPMs stayed up. If I goosed the throttle up and down a couple of times, revs would come back down but never below 2,500 RPMs. By carefully switching between F/N/R, I was able to navigate to the dock. Now, it starts every single time hot or cold. So now I am thinking not injectors but rather Throttle Position Sensor. Head temp sensor was already replaced. Any thoughts?

July 2022 update: I took the boat away for July 4th week and it continued to start cold always then run fine then refuse to start when hot. THEN, it refused to start even cold for several days. Actually, it would start and cycle 2-4 Revs but then starter would disengage and it would stall. Finally, one day it started and ran so we went out and ran it. During that run, it ran fine at WOT but when I backed the throttle down, the RPMs stayed up. If I goosed the throttle up and down a couple of times, revs would come back down but never below 2,500 RPMs. By carefully switching between F/N/R, I was able to navigate to the dock. Now, it starts every single time hot or cold. So now I am thinking not injectors but rather Throttle Position Sensor. Head temp sensor was already replaced. Any thoughts?

Simplest things first. You said engine continues at 2500rpm after pulling throttle to idle. Your control cables are likely 20+ years old. They could be sticking. Stroke the throttle (engine off) while someone watches the throttle plates and linkage. This is a general control cable. About $40.

Definitely check your TPS. There are many threads here about it. No one wants to replace that. It's about $650 now.

Simplest things first. You said engine continues at 2500rpm after pulling throttle to idle. Your control cables are likely 20+ years old. They could be sticking. Stroke the throttle (engine off) while someone watches the throttle plates and linkage. This is a general control cable. About $40.

Definitely check your TPS. There are many threads here about it. No one wants to replace that. It's about $650 now.
Control cables seem like they glide smoothly but I will check manually. Thanks!

Hello,

My 2001 Challenger starts immediately every single time and runs wide open at about 46 mph. It smokes pretty badly at idle and makes a cloud across the lake. When we stop and kill the engine to swim or whatever, it simply WILL NOT start unless it sits for a few hours. Then it starts immediately again every time. There doesn't seem to be anyone locally that knows anything about these boats. One guy told me it is likely the TPS.

Where the F&$^ on the boat is the TPS? Part diagrams on-line suck. It is almost impossible to verify which part I might need as I can't physically see it. I found this one which seems to be a good price, but is it the right one? Supposedly it is but I CANNOT find this on the engine anywhere.

New OEM Mercury Throttle Position Indicator TPI 8M6005165 S/S 83295211 | eBay

There is a filter on the starboard side of the engine with a wire on the bottom - is that a fuel filter / water separator? Could this be a source of the problem? Any reliable mechanics in New Hampshire, Mass, Vermont or Maine?

Help!
Disconnect your kill switch. I had the same problem and spent over $1,000 replacing parts before Dr. Honda suggested this same fix to me. Never had the same problem once I disconnected the kill switch. Good luck.

Did you have injectors cleaned?check the linkage for the trigger on the stator to make sure it's returning smoothly.make sure the throttle is returning smoothly I have the same boat at my shop now if you need some specs on different sensors

Back