2001 RX keeps bogging out and dieing at low speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkello1

So i took them out today. the GS and the RX... this is the first bit water they have seen since 2008. in a previous thread i posted an issue about grey goo from exhaust and fuel issues (no fuel to carbs)... i replaced the lines in the gs and the ones in the RX have no need to be replaced i dont believe (but are still going to be replaced this week). So heres the synopsis

The GS ran beautifully.... prior to taking out on water i had replaced all fuel lines and did a quick view of the carb to check for damage (all good ps). HAd an issue after 20 minutes of WOT riding where the engine seemed to bog out on its own but after letting off of the gas for a split second and then re-engagng WOT, it picked right back up running like a top... didnt feel any missing or anything like that. any ideas on my gs??

The RX however was not as graceful. This is the one that i have been looking forward to the most......I started it while on the trailer and it was SUPER boggy, it would keep acting like it didnt wanna stay running and was hesitating quite a bit... something that is has never done out of the water... After starting while still on the trailer and in reverse i attempted to let it warm up a bit and start getting water through the veins =)... got it off the trailer and punching the throttle caused it to bog a bit but not as bad as at first when i initially started it... i was slightly concered but i figured hey, its cold water, cold motor.... probly just needs to warm up.... well it wasnt so.. after a few times of punching the throttle at a nice slow no wake speed the motor would cut off, noticibly when the water from the rear would come rushing towards the back end of the ski. ... oddly enough, i also noticed that if i adjusted the trim to put the bow down in the water it stopped cutting off at idle hardly at all.

Im thinking this could be just exhaust being blocked when water comes back into rear of the ski when i slow down.. opinions? hopefully this isnt a big deal???

Ok so then after realizing that adjusting the trim was the ticket to success of some sort i would get moving on the water... after about 30 mph i would start to re-adjust the trim to pick the hull up out of the water, it would run good... still would bog a little and even hesitate though going from half to WOT.

another hesitating/missing issue was after about 30 seconds at WOT it would feel as if i was driving no air becuase it would make little "pop" type noises as if it was going over a wake (the no water in the channel sound) but there was no wake..

so my REAL question and the one that i am most worried about.. why the hesitation and why the constant dieing after just a nice slow idle? is this battery related? is this fuel line related? is this fuel filter related? am i not getting enough fuel? could something in the carb be stuck or just jammed?

also this may help, i never pulled the carbs off of the RX.. its seems like a TERRIBLY daunting task that im not entirely sure that i am prepared to handle.. i did pour a full can of SEAFOAM into the tank with about 9 gallons in it...

so again here i am hubly asking...HELP!!!!!! lol

dave

Bummer....

So i took them out today. the GS and the RX... this is the first bit water they have seen since 2008. in a previous thread i posted an issue about grey goo from exhaust and fuel issues (no fuel to carbs)... i replaced the lines in the gs and the ones in the RX have no need to be replaced i dont believe (but are still going to be replaced this week). So heres the synopsis

The GS ran beautifully.... prior to taking out on water i had replaced all fuel lines and did a quick view of the carb to check for damage (all good ps). HAd an issue after 20 minutes of WOT riding where the engine seemed to bog out on its own but after letting off of the gas for a split second and then re-engagng WOT, it picked right back up running like a top... didnt feel any missing or anything like that. any ideas on my gs??

The RX however was not as graceful. This is the one that i have been looking forward to the most......I started it while on the trailer and it was SUPER boggy, it would keep acting like it didnt wanna stay running and was hesitating quite a bit... something that is has never done out of the water... After starting while still on the trailer and in reverse i attempted to let it warm up a bit and start getting water through the veins =)... got it off the trailer and punching the throttle caused it to bog a bit but not as bad as at first when i initially started it... i was slightly concered but i figured hey, its cold water, cold motor.... probly just needs to warm up.... well it wasnt so.. after a few times of punching the throttle at a nice slow no wake speed the motor would cut off, noticibly when the water from the rear would come rushing towards the back end of the ski. ... oddly enough, i also noticed that if i adjusted the trim to put the bow down in the water it stopped cutting off at idle hardly at all.

Im thinking this could be just exhaust being blocked when water comes back into rear of the ski when i slow down.. opinions? hopefully this isnt a big deal???

Ok so then after realizing that adjusting the trim was the ticket to success of some sort i would get moving on the water... after about 30 mph i would start to re-adjust the trim to pick the hull up out of the water, it would run good... still would bog a little and even hesitate though going from half to WOT.

another hesitating/missing issue was after about 30 seconds at WOT it would feel as if i was driving no air becuase it would make little "pop" type noises as if it was going over a wake (the no water in the channel sound) but there was no wake..

so my REAL question and the one that i am most worried about.. why the hesitation and why the constant dieing after just a nice slow idle? is this battery related? is this fuel line related? is this fuel filter related? am i not getting enough fuel? could something in the carb be stuck or just jammed?

also this may help, i never pulled the carbs off of the RX.. its seems like a TERRIBLY daunting task that im not entirely sure that i am prepared to handle.. i did pour a full can of SEAFOAM into the tank with about 9 gallons in it...

so again here i am hubly asking...HELP!!!!!! lol

dave

Dave, I just took a half hour typing and explaining to you what your problem was and what you need to do to fix it. When I went to post it, I got dumped. I'm at work and our server does it regularly.

Your write up was well thought out and recorded. But, you left out one important piece of info, the spark plugs.

In a nut shell, you did not say anything about what your plugs looked like. You need to read the plugs to determine what the problem is. I have a feeling, if I'm reading your thread correctly, you've got trash in your carbs from the grey tempo lines.

It also seems you may have never taken one of these carbs apart before. The Mikuni carbs are all the same by design. The jets and throat sizes is what makes them different between the different size motors.

Because the RX has two carbs, it's going to seem more intimidating than the GS. Even though you said you could back pedal the throttle, it would run good again. No matter because if the grey tempo lines were on it, you need to clean it out. Honestly, even if they were not, the GS with it's single carb is your best way to learn about the carb before jumping into the RX.

I just did a video a few weeks ago, live streaming here in the forum. I think it was recorded by Ustream. You can check my profile page and you should see 4 vids. Look for one on the carbs and if it's available, you will pick up a lot of info by watching it. Just follow this hyper-link.

Sorry this reply isn't as indepth as my first one. But, go check out that link and see if it still has my carb rebuild on it.

From what your describing, you def have fuel delivery problems.

If your having problems in the future, remember to read the plugs. You have to do this in the running phase the motor is in. For instance, if the problem is happening at WOT, the run it at wide open throttle for about 3 minutes, then pull the lanyard. Do not let off the power then kill the motor, this will change the plugs reading because of the idle jets delivering a different fuel mix.

Then, once it's stopped, have your plug wrench on you and pull the plugs. YOu'll be looking to see if one is wet, both wet, both dry, one black and carbon or both..... I think you get the picture.

Always try and put the plug reading in with your info. It's truely a big help.

I'll be looking to read your reply........:cheers:

you bring up a great point. and as i wrote up that last post i also realized that my plugs could have been the bain of my jet skis existence. I grabbed my 500 page shop manual and checked out what the gap requirements were and i realized that my plugs were actually gapped at .040 in...... HOLY MOLY. that explains alot... the rx was gapped at .045 as a matter of fact. it was coated in oil and im pretty much almost positive that i am having a simple not enough spark problem. so to give you a thorough explination... plugs in the rx ended up looking like a #1-#2. the plugs on the GS ended up looking more like a #15 or 16 lol. im overall happy with the GS's running stats. so i took the plugs out, checked the gap and put brand new plugs in both skits gapped at .018... also noted while riding that idle was at 1200 + or - 50 rpm and not at 1400 as noted in the manual... maybe a little help with the idle adjustment screw? where is it? how can i see it??

And am i missing something about the whole tempo lines situation? did they change the color of the lines in some era? i contacted the dealership who has done ALL of the work on these skis since day one and he tells me that he replaced the tempo lines prior with new grey tempo lines as provided via seadoo in '05... am i losing my mind here? lol

Un real....

It's unreal that a dealer would replace defective fuel lines, as specified by Seadoo, and put them back on. I see some contradiction there...

The idle stop screw should be easy to find. You might have to use a mirror. It'll be on the forward side of the carb. It'll be a spring loaded screw with a thumb bar on it. It'll be at a slight angle and the bottom end of the thread against the stop plate.

The gap on the plugs is pretty bad but in general, they shouldn't make it run terribly bad.......

If your seeing 1 and 2 on the RX... this is way to much fuel being sent into the motor. But, is it accurate? That's why I explained it like I did. When you read your plugs, you can get several results. Depending on which side of the scale your on. Low speed, transition with both LS and HS or just the High speed......

With the contradictions of the Tempo lines, ..... if the carbs were never cleaned out after the lines were removed, this is a problem.

Look at my "snipes korner" thread again. I have a section in there I wrote up on the tempo lines. I cut one in half, longwise so you can see how this stuff breaks up from the inside out.......

But, someone is not giving you the full story......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back