2001 GTS(717) won’t develop full power.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmorgan2020

I recently try bought a 2001 GTS(717 motor) that had been sitting for 6-7 years. Has been in the garage, so it’s very clean. But had been stored with trailer tongue up in the air(rear down) and i think the Injector oil ran downhill and totally filled the crankcase. I took the head off and turned it over a bunch to get all the oil out, and got it to start, when I took it to the water, it ran great for about 5-10 seconds(full power full RPMs) but then lost a lot of power. I figured it was carb related so I had the carbs rebuilt,
but it still does the same thing. Starts great. Never a problem. And idles great as well, but when you give it more than 1/4 throttle, it just will not go more than 5-7 miles an hour. Put new spark plugs in it, but that didn’t help. I read somewhere about the RV, but makes no sense that it ran so good for that short time if the RV was worn out. I’m going to check compressions tomorrow, although the cylinder walls were very smooth when I had the head off, and the pistons looked really good. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Also when I pulled the RV cover I see these 2 side ports are capped off. I had the Oil Injection pump blocked off, but are these caps supposed to be on these little brass side ports on the Rotary Valve Cover?

Attachments

• 878AB670-3963-4FA0-92D5-48407AC846E3.jpeg
    878AB670-3963-4FA0-92D5-48407AC846E3.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 13
I bought a brand new carb for my GTS and works great. There might be an issue with your popoff pressure or one of the high or low speed jets. Might be clogged. Did you replace the fuel lines and drain the old gas out of the tank? Did you clean out the fuel selector valve out as well? what i also did when i restored my 2001 GTS is any lines i could get a hold of i blew compressed air and crap came flying out of them. Especially check your cooling system and its lines. The water lines on mine were clogged and the cooling system wasnt working properly. Very easy to take each line of blow compressed air through it and if its really bad.. shove a coat hangar down the line once it is off the ski and it should break up most of it. Worse case scenario youll have to replace those lines. Cooling is critical and it should be peeing out of the left front side. Hope this helps!

If your inner crank seals are leaking really bad that might explain your fouling spark plugs or diminished performance. Put a valve in the oil line. Leave it closed for your first ride and see if performance improves or remains more constant. Good Luck with it.

I bought a brand new carb for my GTS and works great. There might be an issue with your popoff pressure or one of the high or low speed jets. Might be clogged. Did you replace the fuel lines and drain the old gas out of the tank? Did you clean out the fuel selector valve out as well? what i also did when i restored my 2001 GTS is any lines i could get a hold of i blew compressed air and crap came flying out of them. Especially check your cooling system and its lines. The water lines on mine were clogged and the cooling system wasnt working properly. Very easy to take each line of blow compressed air through it and if its really bad.. shove a coat hangar down the line once it is off the ski and it should break up most of it. Worse case scenario youll have to replace those lines. Cooling is critical and it should be peeing out of the left front side. Hope this helps!
Thanks. I haven’t blown all the lines out. I’ll definitely do that.

If your inner crank seals are leaking really bad that might explain your fouling spark plugs or diminished performance. Put a valve in the oil line. Leave it closed for your first ride and see if performance improves or remains more constant. Good Luck with it.
I think I forgot to say it but I had a guy block off the Oil Injection Pump and now we premix the oil and gas. Also same guy just totally rebuilt the carb. Assuming he set the correct pop-off pressure and set the low and high end jet screws. I tried adjusting the low end screw in and out a bunch but it didn’t Help at all. I checked compression today and it was 140 in both chambers.

The block off for the oil injection does not block off the oil flow to the rotary valve chamber and should not. The ski still needs oil for that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back