2001 GTI 15A Fuse pops....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hwoolfolk

The ski was purchased this year. It was purchased not running. The fuses were way off.. so I copied the fuse setup in my 1999 GTI. Those I now know are off also (Sheesh... gonna make them right before I blow up that ski!).

Here is what happens... I put the fuses in the MPEM .. but when I put back the fuse in the electrical box the 15A fuse in the MPEM pops immediately. What can I don to trace the problem? Where can I check?

Thanks

diagrams sent. EVERY connection should be cleaned, checked for continuity, and dielectric greased, one at a time. work your way from the battery to mpem. If problem not surfaces, get into the stator. It takes three 4" long x 8mm by 1.25 thread pitch metric bolts screwed into flywheel 1/4" (or you'll be into the coils behind it) to pull the flywheel useing an automotive three slotted harmonic balancer puller. Bill

Propper fuses

The ski was purchased this year. It was purchased not running. The fuses were way off.. so I copied the fuse setup in my 1999 GTI. Those I now know are off also (Sheesh... gonna make them right before I blow up that ski!).

Here is what happens... I put the fuses in the MPEM .. but when I put back the fuse in the electrical box the 15A fuse in the MPEM pops immediately. What can I don to trace the problem? Where can I check?

Thanks

NEVER use a fuse that is not the correct one. Check the fuse holders, they
can rot & corrode too. Bill

ok.. Thanks for the response!

Here is what I did:

First, I checked the fuses.. all are correct now.

Then I unplugged all the different connectors, replaced the fuses and plugged them in one by one to see when the fuse popped. As you suspected it was the stator.

I then took my meeter and tested the wires going into the stator. I did a continuity test touching the 2 yellow wires and got a beep from my tester telling me it was a closed circuit. Im guessing it shouldnt be? IN any event I took the cover off and inspected to see if there were any metal shards.. indeed there were.. not big ones..light dusty ones. Would think they might be normal.

Im going to assume I need to pull the flywheel and inspect what is behind it.

Sound like the stator???? With the stator unplugged I still dont get a beep with my DESS plugged in... still no beep when I press the start switch. Is this normal?

Thanks

When you unpluged, same as removeing the battery cable. MPEM gets its ground at the stator, all Seadoo grounds are Black, look in your stator plug, the black wire is in there. Bill

Yes.. there were 2 yellow wires, one with a tracer, and I think 2 black wires, one with a red tracer?

Anyway, when I unplug the wires to the stator, and do a continuity test by touching the 2 yellow wires leading to the stator my tester beeps... there is continuity. That should not be... correct?

I need to find out how to test the stator.

ok... new development...

I unplugged the rectifier, plugged the stator plug back together and didnt pop the 15A fuse! BUT... I did pop the 5A fuse. so.. have I determined that the rectifier is bad? and will the 5A fuse pop if there is not rectifier?

I am going to search now how to test the rectifier... if you can.

Thoughts??

Ok.. to summarize, here is what I did with the results:

1- All fuses were checked and the proper amps checked as well
2- Unplugged the following:
- Stator plug
- Plugs to the front guages (speedo, fuel guage, fuel sender)
- Didnt unplug the Rectifier
3- I used the rear 15A fuse to be my switch. Kept it out until I was ready to perform my test. I plugged it in and no fuses popped.
4- I started plugging in things... started with what I thought wasnt the problem...
- Plugged in the fuel guage and instruments in the bow... no fused popped
- Plugged in the Stator... POP!.. the 15A fuse popped.
5- I received a PM that suggested it may be the Rectifier so I did the following:
- Unplugged the rectifier and plugged back in the stator... replaced the rear fuse... POP
- I removed the red wife from the rectifier.. POP
- I removed the yellow wires, replaced the red wire...POP
6- I went back and unplugged everything... rectifier, stator, the 3 plugs in the bow (speedo guage, fuel guage, and fuel sender) NO POP.
- I started with plugging in the stator first... POP.

I think I have isolated the problem to the STATOR. I think my next step is to remove the flywheel and inspect the stator.

Agree?

Last edited by a moderator:
you can put a thick rope down the closest *plug hole to undo the nut on flywheel,
then use puller.

Sounds like the stator though... huh Bill ?? Im gonna go and look up the stator... see if there is any way to test it.

Could it possibly just be cleaned? If it is a simple case of some metal dust shorting it out?

And what else would cause a rectifier to go bad?

Thanks

Yea....Ya need to get in there and see. Hate to tell ya GO BUY an MPEM, maybe
that fixes it. (throwing parts). 720 fltwheels seldom fail, but we have seen several failures here this year! Bill

I have a 1999 ski.. GTI as well. The MPEM is the same. I could swap it over and see BUT I am nervous that the swap might kill that MPEM. Is that possible? I mean heck... there are only a few connections.. it wouldnt be a tough job. Would save me from pulling the flywheel.

Can the stator be tested? could it be cleaned? I mean, am I chasing something that in reality most likely is not the problem?

Now, I get no beeps at all from my DESS but I am guessing that is because no power is getting to the MPEM... or... maybe the MPEM is popping the 5A fuse which is my problem.

Question... IF I have all the plugs in... and the 5A fuse pops but the 15A fuse is still good, should my DESS work? or because that 5A fuse is popped nothing is going to work because the MPEM is not getting power?

Thanks!

Ok.. conclusion... I took the MPEM out of the dead ski and put it in the good ski (same MPEM) Immediately popped the 5A fuse. Im gonna conclude that the MPEM is bad. I would take the good MPEM out and put it in the dead ski but... just want to leave that ski alone.

So... new/used MPEM 278-001-496... where is the best place to find one??? I havent even looked for a new one because Im remembering that they are very expensive.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back