2001 gs blowing the 5 amp fuse on mpem module

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffej3580

Hi new here looking for some help. Trying to help a friend that has a 2001 GS Sea-doo. was running fine and just died. It is blowing the 5 amp fuse on the mpem module. If i unplug the connector to the stator the fuse doesn't blow. I unpluged the rectofier and the fuse still blew. My understanding is that the yellow wires from the stator are ac current going to the rectofier. it seems to me that one of the pins going to the stator is going to ground. can anybody tell me what wire should have voltage or ground? thanks Jeff

Does It start for a couple seconds and then blow the fuse or blow the fuse with the ignition on and not cranking?

Hi new here looking for some help. Trying to help a friend that has a 2001 GS Sea-doo. was running fine and just died. It is blowing the 5 amp fuse on the mpem module. If i unplug the connector to the stator the fuse doesn't blow. I unpluged the rectofier and the fuse still blew. My understanding is that the yellow wires from the stator are ac current going to the rectofier. it seems to me that one of the pins going to the stator is going to ground. can anybody tell me what wire should have voltage or ground? thanks Jeff

Could be a short at the stator or in the MPEM, a member on the forum @cj3737 went through this on a GS. He was able to successfully resolve the 5A fuse blowing by replacing the diode. It's a tedious job but you may want search the forum for the thread or drop him a message.

To verify the stator issue you should be able to disconnect 4 pin connector at engine and do a continuity test from stator pins to engine ground. Only one wire should have continuity to ground. Do not test other side of connector going to mpem as it will damage your meter.

Thanks for the replies. After I posted the question I kept digging around the forum and found the post about the diode going bad in the mpem. The fuse would blow as soon as you connect the battery or trying a new fuse with the battery already connected. I cut a small square to the left of the 5 amp fuse and dug out the black stuff sealing the circuit board till I found the diode. I ordered a new diode and soldered it in and all was fixed. Thanks for the help.

To verify the stator issue you should be able to disconnect 4 pin connector at engine and do a continuity test from stator pins to engine ground. Only one wire should have continuity to ground. Do not test other side of connector going to mpem as it will damage your meter.

On the 1996 SPI I have continuity between the Black/Red and Black ground wire with the proper range of resistance. Curious as to what will damage the meter if I check the other side?

I replaced my diode and the 5amp fuse blew immediately as the battery negative sparked when I tried to connect it. Diode is still good. Check out my thread and give me some guidance. :) I would appreciate some input.

Electrical problems 96 SPI

I got the fuse issue solved. I had the diode in backwards. Just a small arrow and I thought the current flowed in the other direction. Nice to be working on 2 modules at once. They were both blowing the fuse. :) VIOLA !!! movin on.... nuthing to see here. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back