2001 challenger 1800 wouldn’t start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I’ll preface this by saying that I’m brand new to the boat thing.

I just bought a 2001 challenger 1800 with 240 Merc m2.

The guy we bought it from took us for a test run and it was great.

Took it straight to another lake, launched it fine. Then, shut her down for a bit.

Wouldn’t start back up.

Finally got it going again, then the lanyard just straight up fell off as we were headed back to the boat ramp.

So, we towed it in. And the previous owner said we probably would need to change the safety switch soon.

Well, I changed the spark plugs the next day because previous owner said he never did in his 7 years of owning the boat.

I thought it was the safety switch or the lanyard but from what I read, 2001 Challenger 1800’s with Merc m2 240hp don’t have dess so probably not that?

Just wondering what my next steps should be...I was planning on ordering a new lanyard to replace the original then get a new post and see if that did it...but now that seems wrong?

Help please! Any other general rules of regular maintenance would be helpful for this newbie too...because you don’t change this oil???

Guess I need to get it back in the water to test or try to start it in the driveway??

I appreciate the help in advance because I have no clue what I’m doing!!

That engine's lanyard is just a simple kill switch. Get a new one that will stay on the post, and it should be fine. The DESS system is just on the PWC and newer Rotax powered boats.

No... you don't change the oil. It's a big 2-stroke. It burns oil. SO... DO NOT run out of oil while running around.

Awesome, thank you. And my wife is terrified to try and start it out of the water to see if what we did worked. Any chance of doing damage to the boat?

Yes you can damage the engine if you don't do it correctly. If the launch is close take the boat there, put it in the water and try it out. If it's not busy keep it tied down to the trailer and make sure you get the jet pump in the water and start it. If the safety lanyard is falling out it's either the wrong one or worn out. The safety lanyard switch's do go out as well, sooner or later. If you're new to this don't start it out of the water.

If you simply unplug the lanyard from the back of the switch, it’ll bypass the N.O. Switch. When you try and start it, does the starter engage?

Also, be sure and run either mercury, or quicksilver premium 2stroke oil. (Usually 20 bux a gallon and supports 80 gallons of fuel) 2 fill ups per gallon.

If starter doesn’t engage, check the Neutral position on the hand shifter; if the starters engaging and it continues to not fire, then check to see if you have a ticking sound coming from the fuel lift pump, if so, it’s a good possibility it’s in the ignition system... but if it ran fine one place and not the other, and nothing has really changed, be sure boats in neutral, lanyard engaged or removed, and oil level is good...other than that ...not sure without more details.

These engines are particular about 3 things:

Fuel
Spark plugs(be sure their NGK or Denso) and it’s the correct replacement.
Oil
Do not run additives in the fuel!... (and stay with the 89 octane).. Unless it Sta-bil for 2 stroke, also when changing the plugs, buy some stabil fogger spray, and when plugs are removed, hit it for about 5 seconds in each cylinder head, and add a touch of dielectric grease to the end of spark plug boot...other than this the M2 is a great engine, just particular about its fluids. Should last forever with the right maintenance...

So, changed the spark plugs and got a new lanyard and it stayed on great. Started great and then we shut her down to swim for a bit, then went to start and nothing. Started didn’t seem to engage at all. So we were right by the ramp, floated in. Thought maybe the battery but it tested at about 12 so those 2 batteries seem to be good. We tightened those connections then tapped the starter and it started again fine!

Be sure and keep a little marine grease on the starter spindle as well. I changed mine out last season after it that to me once, and luckily when I tapped it and manually worked the spindle up and down it engaged. Good thing because we were 20 miles out. NAPA carries an exact replacement for the Mercs, which seems to be a little heavier duty than the original, and is a direct fit.

Glad you were able to get it going!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back