2000 GTX Fuel Sending Unit Needed.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Andy, are you sure you need a new one. Sometimes the magnets fall out of the sender and are in the bottom of the tank. If you want to troubleshoot it let me know. The old unit can be fixed unless you have no "resistance".

Karl

Hey Karl, Im very interested in repairing this unit.......I have not taken the unit out yet but Ill let you know what I find when I do. I was wanting to see if it is repairable so yes, Im open for all suggestions. Thanks for your reply and suggestion and Ill get the unit out very soon..........
Thanks again.
Andy

Before you even pull the unit out you can test it on the machine. On the top of the sender baffle are 2 wires...Pink/ black and Pink Unplug it and use a multimeter to test ohms for resistance. If you get none than it is broken, and needs to be pulled. Once pulled it can be checked further. Usually the magnets either are really dirty or have fallen out of the baffle.

Karl

Karl, thanks. It may be the weekend before I have a chance to check this....but Ill let you know what I find. Thanks again for the help for Im a big believer in repairing if all possible..... I hate to discard anything that can be fixed..........

Andy

Karl, I have checked the sending unit and it does not have any resistance....so I pulled the unit out. The float still is in tack and slides easily up and down as expected. The screen on the bottom was partially clog but not bad. I did not notice any magnets as you speak of........are they in the bottom of the tank? What checks do I need to make now? Thanks again for all your advice..........
Should we jump to the technical forums for further analysis on this or is this one OK or jump to regular email?

Andy

Andy, I checked the manual and for your 2000 gtx, it has a float, no magnets. The wires should still have resistance with a ohm meter as it moves up and down like the fuel makes it travel. If it doesn't change, it must be bad. It seems that the guage is mounted on the fuel pump module. I bet that part is expensive as it doesn't look like it comes apart...yeks!

Karl

Andy, there is another test to see if it is bad. On the info center Disconnect the 4 circuit connector. Remove the pink wire from the connector, and reconnect the connector. Disconnect the 2 wire connector that has the black and purple wire. Remove the Black wire. Reconnect the connector. Use the probes check the pink and the black wire. The guage must be activate to get a reading. (now you might be able to use the probe in the connector without taking out the wires). It should show resistance based on float position. Let me know your results.

Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill check this tonight..........I was afraid that this unit cannot be repaired but its worth the try. I may just take the sending unit apart and see if I can tell why the resistance does not change with the float movement....Ill let you know what I find.......... Thanks again Karl......

Karl, I have confirmed that the sending unit is bad in that when I jumped the connect out, the gauge works........... I dont see anything obvious broke on the sending unit so it must be bad internally. A new one is around $150.00 at the local dealership but Ill keep looking on here for alittle while longer.........Thanks for all your help.......

Andy

Karl, you may not remember this discussion last month about a faulty fuel sending unit on my 2000 GTX........but the final outcome of this is that the unit had a faulty electrical component inside the sending unit inself. My electronic wizard friend took apart the unit and replaced this faulty part.......It saved me the expense of a new one for sure. Thanks again for your advice on this item and now we know how to fix these faulty units in the future............Have a good summer.........

Andy

I remember it Andy... can you PM me the exact info your friend, the electrical wizard did to resolve it? That would be a big help to me if it is something I don't know about.

Thanks
Karl

Karl, yes, Ill get the exact info and shoot it to you as soon as we have finalized the repair...... He knows what it takes to repair the unit for we have tested it in the watercraft and now we just have to make the repair permanent.......... Will keep you informed.... Thanks again.......

Andy

Hello Karl, well we finalized the repair on the fuel sending unit on my 2000 GTX and I wanted to update you on the fix for it............It turned out to be a very small blown fuse located inside the sending unit itself that was causing the unit to not work. We bypassed this fuse and by installing a external in-line fuse in a normal fuse holder........... The fuse inside the sending unit is much too small for this application so we installed a one a little larger and at least we can change the fuse now without removing the sending unit if this problem re-occurs. I wanted to update you on this project for you was really helpful in isolating the problem and again....Thanks for all your help and hope you have a good remaining summer...........

Andy

Thanks for the update Andy. If we can be of any more help let us know. Enjoy the 4th.

Karl

Back