2000 GTX 951 Restore.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Man was this a ski to remember. it had about 10 cans O Whoop Azz and everytime I touched something the ski would open another one. I had to toss everything in the Rear Electrical box it was pitiful. The fuel tank had a 1/2" and sludge in the bottom, Rust and corrosion eveywhere with lots of cleaning painting and digging through my spare parts stock which I hit hard. :) The previous previous owner was merciless as .one of the read valve housings was smashed and the reeds were broken. I have been putting the final touches on the ski now final final touches. Gotta love that 951 on the water. Gots some GRUNT for sure. :D It Had that accelerator pump hesitation and I had the Pop-Off set a bit high which I thought was making it worse buuuuut the ski hit 55mph and pulled pretty good. Glad I got the speedo working just so cool to have all that. When I got home I decided to pull the carb even though it was kinda late 6:40pm. I looked at the clock and thought... I can do this in an hour. My wife came to check on me at 10pm :D and I said, I'm may as well finish installing everything so I did. 11:30pm Got R Did. :D On the Carb the needle pop off looked pretty good but mag carb accelerator port was blocked. What I didn't do to try to clear that thing!!! What a fiaso. . She's clear now so I'm looking forward to and hoping for an excellent next ride. This is one SCHWEET ski now!!! Here are a few pictures of the finished or almost finished ski

Attachments

• 2000 GTX Complete Clean (2).JPG
    2000 GTX Complete Clean (2).JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 2000 GTX Complete Clean (4).JPG
    2000 GTX Complete Clean (4).JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 2000 GTX Water Test 4-23-21 (6).JPG
    2000 GTX Water Test 4-23-21 (6).JPG
    492.1 KB · Views: 25
A few weeks ago as I was getting ready to install the battery I looked at the rear electrical box and thought... I better open that up. Thank you parts pile but it was a lot of improvising to get this thing working. The Fuel tank had1/2" a sludge build up toward the rear so that took a while. I got a couple of picture here for those that say just put the shims back where you find them and you'll be good on alignment. :D

Attachments

• 2000 GTX 951 Engine   (1).JPG
    2000 GTX 951 Engine (1).JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 2000 GTX 951 Engine   (2).JPG
    2000 GTX 951 Engine (2).JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 25
  • GTX 951 Rear Elect  box coils (5).JPG
    GTX 951 Rear Elect box coils (5).JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 27
  • GTX 951 Rear Elect  box coils (6).JPG
    GTX 951 Rear Elect box coils (6).JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 25
  • GTX 951 Rear Elect  Box coils.JPG
    GTX 951 Rear Elect Box coils.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 24
  • GTX 2000 951 Fuel Tank (2).JPG
    GTX 2000 951 Fuel Tank (2).JPG
    316 KB · Views: 25
  • GTX 2000 951 Fuel Tank (3).JPG
    GTX 2000 951 Fuel Tank (3).JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 23
  • GTX 2000 951 Fuel Tank (5).JPG
    GTX 2000 951 Fuel Tank (5).JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 27
The spline on the left was the drive shaft in the ski. Thank you parts pile. :)

Attachments

• GTX 951 Drive Shaft Worn (2).JPG
    GTX 951 Drive Shaft Worn (2).JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 25
  • GTX 951 Drive Shaft Worn (1).JPG
    GTX 951 Drive Shaft Worn (1).JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 24
Jet pump looking good.

Attachments

• GTX 951 Jet pump 155mm (1).JPG
    GTX 951 Jet pump 155mm (1).JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 21
  • GTX951 Jet pump 155mm Silver nozzle painted.JPG
    GTX951 Jet pump 155mm Silver nozzle painted.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 21
  • GTX 951 Jet pump 155mm (4).JPG
    GTX 951 Jet pump 155mm (4).JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 23
  • GTX 951 Jet pump 155mm (5).JPG
    GTX 951 Jet pump 155mm (5).JPG
    299 KB · Views: 23
A little different from where we started. Nice seats just make the skis look so much better.

Attachments

• 2001 Seadoo 951 Blue arrival first picture.jpg
    2001 Seadoo 951 Blue arrival first picture.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 2000 GTX 951 (2).JPG
    2000 GTX 951 (2).JPG
    384.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 2000 GTX Complete Clean (4).JPG
    2000 GTX Complete Clean (4).JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 26
I can see why people elimated the Accelerator Pumpsfrom the system as that action will likely eliminate potential headaches. I was almost there. :) I thought I saw both streams spraying when I checked the carbs but after being on the water it was obvious "no joy". Hesitation. Turns out only one side was flowing freely. I decided to do a better check so I rigged up a hose and bottle to feed the accelerator pump which gives more than a couple of strokes of testing with the carbs on the bench. I found the MAG carb wasn't feeding anything and It was a 2 hour fiasco clearing that nozzle. Carb cleaner, Acetone, Heat and I ended up with the drill motor and lots of careful finesse. Both are spraying strong now and I have a more intimate relationship with the Accelerator Pump. As I often say, these skis are sneaky and this is War. :D

I think it is a good idea to keep the skis stock and when the pump is working... it rocks but to each his/her own. I haven't put the ski back in the water yet but I'll be it is gonna be sweeter than eva !! Touchdowns everyone.

I noticed what appeared to be moisture on the spark plugs a day after riding the ski. I figure that as the engne cools it draws most air into the engine internals. As that air cools the moisture subliminates, like dew, and dew/water droplets form on the engine internals. So it basically becomes a WET engine. I believe it is IMPERATIVE tog a 951 after every days riding. I don't think this happens as easliy on the engines that hava a spark arrestor because the mois passing through the flame arrestor will leave the water droplets on the surface of the screen.... mostly. Always a good idea to fog though. That's my observation. Might be pretty plain to long term Seadoo guys but I still figure stuff out every day. LOL Boats are new to me. :D

etemplet
I may have to start fogging after riding if my skis are going to sit for a week or two which they usually do.
My other ski is a two smoke Waverunner I’m assuming this is good practice on all 2 stroke skis?

etemplet
I may have to start fogging after riding if my skis are going to sit for a week or two which they usually do.
My other ski is a two smoke Waverunner I’m assuming this is good practice on all 2 stroke skis?
@mikidymac has an interesting way of fogging if you can reach it, pull the oil pump throttle wide open with the engine at idle. It gets lots of oil that way. I'll let him extrapolate. :D I can't reach it on the 951s.

So yes, the oil pump trick is better than nothing but really doesn't get the cylinders lubed like actual fogging.

The most thorough way is to pull the air cleaner lid and spray fogging oil into the carbs when idling then pull the sparkplugs and squirt some fogging oil down each cylinder ban bump the engine over a couple times.
On a 951 you have to pop the airbox out enough to get to the carbs and I got to where I could do it in about 5 minutes. The newer 951's actually have a fogging fitting on the airbox that makes it too easy not to do it.

The 951 needs to be fogged after every use and the other engines should be done also.

I fog every one of my skis after every day of riding even if I am riding the next day. At this point I can fog two skis in under 15 minutes in the parking lot while my wife is wiping down the skis. If staying at the lake it's a great 1 beer project at the end of the day.

So yes, the oil pump trick is better than nothing but really doesn't get the cylinders lubed like actual fogging.

The most thorough way is to pull the air cleaner lid and spray fogging oil into the carbs when idling then pull the sparkplugs and squirt some fogging oil down each cylinder ban bump the engine over a couple times.
On a 951 you have to pop the airbox out enough to get to the carbs and I got to where I could do it in about 5 minutes. The newer 951's actually have a fogging fitting on the airbox that makes it too easy not to do it.

The 951 needs to be fogged after every use and the other engines should be done also.

I fog every one of my skis after every day of riding even if I am riding the next day. At this point I can fog two skis in under 15 minutes in the parking lot while my wife is wiping down the skis. If staying at the lake it's a great 1 beer project at the end of the day.
Thanks miki.... this stuff is muey importante if you want your skis to last. I have a late model 951airbox I'm gonna give it a look.

Last edited:
Ok this confirms I’ll be fogging now
Thanks
I have modified my 951 air box to allow fogging in about 30 seconds.

AYou can drill two holes in the air box and use tygon with a T fitting to fog without removing the air box. I’ll post pix ASAP.
I fog after every ride. Just part of my routine now.

KenCC3C0174-BE0E-4BE4-A574-92956E0A12EF.jpeg29859ABC-607B-4E44-B404-823A8488F33A.jpegFD3E8274-9055-4C3C-90F2-F54753BDAFE2.jpeg

I have modified my 951 air box to allow fogging in about 30 seconds.

AYou can drill two holes in the air box and use tygon with a T fitting to fog without removing the air box. I’ll post pix ASAP.
I fog after every ride. Just part of my routine now.

KenView attachment 53836

Love that idea. I was thinking along that same route. One shot gets both sides. My first race bike I bought was a bitch to start but ran great for the weekend after it got started. I shoved a hose in the carb Air Box much like you did and I'd squirt some starting fluid in there and she'd fire up right away. Thanks so much for posting !! Good Stuff for certain.

Also this set up you have would be great for priming the carbs. Win all around !!!

Are you guys having to change your plugs sooner when fogging this much?
I dunno but I like the idea. :D These engines are gonna pull in the moist humid air as they cool and that ain't good. The plugs on the 951 were WET and it wasn't fuel. Good Luck.

Hey I have the same ski and im having electrical issues...I replaced the electrical box in the rear and still no gauges lighting up or beep. I had the ski running last year fine but the key was always a little touchy...Every now and then it wouldnt start up but once it was in the right position it would start. got a new key programmed and it worked for some time but now this problem arose.

We had the wrong battery in at the time (changed it out for the right one now) which makes me think that it caused a problem. Im praying that its not the MPEM but was wondering to see if you guys think it is? the other idea is that I need a new DESS post. When I click the starter button twice without the lanyard in, nothing lights up. Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions. Im not the best with this kind of stuff but I know that theres a way to test the fuses in the MPEM with a multimeter? How in depth is that? thanks.

@MikeBuonad29 I have had more than one ski that did not energize the gauges when the start button was pushed without the key in place. One day I'll figure that one out. LOL Is your beeper working?
You say you had the incorrect battery installed. Is there a chance you connected the positive post to the negative even if only for a short time? That's all it takes
Have you checked your fuses?
Have you performed the checks on the DESS Post?

I'd suggest you start a specific thread to get the most from the group. They will be helpful I am sure. There is much experiene on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back