2000 951 RX not starting (carb, grey lines) Not sure where to start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bd2000rx

Quick Intro
I have a 2000 RX that I bought used in May. Owner seemed to take good care of it and it is in good condition bought with 74hours on it. It is now at about 85 hours.

My knowledge of seadoos (and pretty much for engines) was 0 before purchase and everything since than has been a learning experience - replaced oiltank, had to clean rave valves (lost a spring in the process), and other small stuff.

One of the things I've read on the forum is that the grey fuel lines need to be replaced. This seadoo has them, I have not done them but I am thinking I am going to...

Problem
My buddy was riding and (this is according to him) it started losing speed. So he came back in and on the way it died. Got it started and got a little farther and then it died and would not start again. He said it was getting hi RPM (I don't know what he means by this 4000+? 5000+? 6800?) but it wasn't going fast at all.

Now I have this RX that won't start and I'm not sure what to do with it. It beeps twice with the key and the starter cranks but it doesn't turn over. It sounds like it would if you were to try and start it with the gas set to off.

My thought is that it is not getting gas, but I am not sure where to go from here. It seems like I need to replace the fuel lines but I am not sure if that should be the first step. Basically - should I try and get it running before I replace these lines. The reason I ask is because it seems like most people that have problems with the lines notice a gradual drop in RPM and bogging. This seadoo never really had a problem with bogging, except for when the engine is cold.

I'm not sure if it is of any significance, but the day before this happened I added oil. The oil I added was bombardier xps synthetic 2 stroke (it is brown) but the oil that was in there was from the previous owner, and it was blue. My guess is that about the time this happened would line up to be about be when the blue oil ran out, assuming the two oils didn't mix. The day that this happened I filled up the tank - BUT I rode around for 15min before my buddy got on. I don't drive around at WOT except for ~20-30 second spurts. Not sure about my buddy but I'm guessing the same.

Things I've tried so far:
1) check fuel filter near selector switch, grey sediment in there but not enough to clog
2) spark - both sparkplugs are sparking
3) tried starting on RES, same
4) tried new sparkplugs
5) took out sparkplugs, added a spash of gas to each cylinder, replaced sparkplugs. This got the engine to sound like it was turning over but it didn't start. I'm guessing the little bit of fuel burned off because now it is back to before.

Any suggestions as to what should be my next step?

I am not an expert by any means, but from the experiences I have had so far, REPLACE THE FUEL LINES and clean the carbs. This may or may not fix your problem, but it needs done. I have a 97 GSX that would start and idle ok, but wouldn't rev past 4000ish rpm. By the time I got back to the dock, it would barely stay running. I thought it was electrical, but I had a few people tell me to replace the fuel lines first, then go from there. I was very reluctant, but decided to give it a shot and its a good thing I did. The fuel lines were falling apart, and when I took the little fuel filter out of each carb it was black and completely clogged. Needless to say, I have experienced first hand that the gray fuel lines HAVE TO GO, and after I replaced them the ski ran perfect. It was the first time really tearing into a jet ski, and it wasn't to bad changing the lines. It took me a couple hours, more me learning than anything, but it was totally worth it.

Hope this helps some. I'm sure some more people with more experience will chime in, but trust me when I tell you, they will tell you to change the fuel lines first as well.

GOOD LUCK!!
Bryan

Yep, I am going to pick up the replacement fuel line right now but, still, I am worried that the machine went from operating at 6800+ RPM to not starting (while sitting on trailer no less)

You might want to try and remove the air box and spray a little fuel into the carbs while cranking with a old windex or other type spray bottle and see if it will kick. Don't get crazy spraying thou it can be dangerous.

just an update.

Something didn't seem right when going thru the lines. There were worm clamps on a lot of the hoses instead of oetieker clamps like i was expecting. i messaged the previous owner, it turns out he replaced some of the fuel lines when he cleaned the carbs when he owned it - with more grey fuel lines. haha. anyhow, there did not seem to be much build up at all.

yet, i still havent gotten the carb off. the pipe sits on top of the carbs and the bottom allen bolt on the MAG carb is underneath the carb bracket (throttle cable bracket). it seems like the ideal way to get the carb out of there would be to unbolt then from there unscrew the bracket and then remove the fuel lines and pull out.

feelin like im over my head. should the order be: bracket->bolts->cables off or cables off->bolts out->bracket off

also, starting to doubt that it is the carb having the problem either since the gas lines dont seem to have much in them. possible fuel pump? would that throw an error code?

is it an rx carb or rx di, if carb u need to replace the gray fuel lines and clean the carb at the same time, u might not see anything in the fuel line, its what u dont see .

i havent worked on the 951 yet but by what i see it would be easier to take off the exhaust.

You absolutely have to take the exhaust off in order to remove the carbs. You have to take the air filters off as well.. Also there is a bolt on the other side off the exhaust that you cant see. It is next to impossible to get off. I use a ratchet wrench to get it off. And you also have to take off the exhaust clamp around the exhaust towards the front of the engine compartment. and remove the 2 hoses that are on it. after that you will have the carbs exposed. Get a small allen to take the throttle and choke cable off and remove the carbs. I don't remember what was holding the carbs to the engine. I pulled the carbs off like 2 months ago on mine. Then order a carb kit from sbt or wherever. Good luck!

shit. how painful is it removing the exhaust? it seems like a lot of effort just to get to the carb and im considering finagling it if I don't have to remove the exhaust

Man, it sounds hard. But the hardest thing really is that bolt under the pipe. Removing the carbs takes me about and hour or two. The first time i did it on my old xp i did it in like 3 from what i remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back