2 Stroke Oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brim05

Hi All,

New to this forum so I'm sure this has been asked but the search option didn't bring anything up. I'm in search of an alternate to paying monster amounts for Seadoo Genuine oil for my 2001 GTX DI.
I have been using Castrol Power1 TTS Racing for about a year with no dramas but that's also pretty expensive. The guy at Repco says he uses Penrite Marine 2 stroke mineral oil in is GTX (Carby not DI) with no issues, then goes on to say he has only had it for 6 months and that is what the penrite dealer recommends. I check that out and their own web site indicates it is not designed for Seadoo water Ski's or hi temp combustion 2 stroke motors. I have been on US forums but it seems their coding or specs on oil are different to ours here in Australia.

I would love any advice on alternate cheaper oils here, are mineral oils ok? Semi Synthetic ok or must it be fully Synth? Some Brands etc would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

As the owner of 4 DI skis, I recommend only Sea-Doo full synthetic oil or Amsoil full synthetic oil.
Cannot tell you how many DI skis I have seen with blown engines and clogged oil filters with blue looking crap oil in them.
I also recommend fogging the cylinders after every use. It will help make your engine last and it is just good maintenance.

Define "paying monster amounts" seadoo XPS full synthetic runs about $45 a gallon. Note: if or when you switch to another oil, drain everything, I wouldn't just add it.

I know you are in Australia so anything is going to be more expensive but for your ski to live it has to be an API-TC rated full synthetic oil. The Seadoo DI engine is a lean burn 2-stroke engine which is not a good combination so it is always on the edge of destruction and needs that specific oil if you don't want to blow it up.

It looks like Penrite MC-2ST Full Synthetic says it can be used in Seadoo watercraft and is not TCW-3 rated, which is a good thing. You don't want anything that says TCW-3 anywhere.

Mystik jt-4 full synthetic. You can buy either the PWC or snowmobile versions. They're both the same. I have a local Mom and Pop distributor that gets just under $80 for a 4 gallon case.

The OP is in Australia so a lot of the oils we can get easily aren’t available there.

Yep, I think you want full synthetic because it can handle more heat without breaking down and coking up the works. An air-cooled 2-stroke full syn motor oil, one of known good quality doesn't come cheap but like anything can be overpriced. Not outboard TCW-3 or "compatible multi-use" oils, whatever that means.

Basically the same thing 2-stroke dirt bikes are using but full synthetic version. The ultralight 2-stroke guys are probably using non-synthetic but they're used to frequent tear-downs (for safety reasons).

The amsoil products are good stuff if you select the right one, despite they don't have the SAE/JAS ratings and such, I've personally witnessed torch tests and have seen enough people using it to convince me.

I just use the Seadoo oil myself, b/c I know it works. Price of other oils are often higher anyway.

I would clean out the entire injection system before swapping types, incompatibilities occur thus some will congeal when mixed and clog the system resulting in starvation.

FWIW, for those who delete oil injection and switch to pre-mix, they will consume lot's more $$ oil.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Gives me plenty to think about. I have done some more research since this post and when searching Castrol for what oil they specifically recommend it actually pulls 2000 - 2003 GTX DI's and recommends the Castrol Power 1 TTS racing full synthetic that I had switched to.

I think I have dodged a bullet there as I simply added it and didn't drain the system at all not knowing about the congealing issues. I have subsequently done a heap of hours and two oil refills with no issue so might stick with that for now.

I do have a leak in the seam of the oil tank that I will need to repair at some point so may look at a change and system clean then. "The Dazza", let me know how much you pay for the MC-2ST when you get it? "Guillot", anywhere from AUD$130.00 - AUD$160.00 for 3.7L or about a gallon. "mikidymac" a wealth of knowledge, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back