2 Spark questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Spank

Q - 1: Just curious what an appropriate “max” amount of time is, to run a 2019 Spark on a freshwater hose?

Objective will be long enough to warm the engine oil for an oil siphon and change, etc.

I ask as I remember seeing something about a carbon ring that can critically complicate running some SD’s on a hose (but, don’t know if that includes Sparks ...)

Q - 2: Are the rubber grips on the Sparks glued on or, just a tight friction fit?

Reason I ask is I took delivery from a dealer and the grips are positioned with the palm rest straight down, at the “6 o’clock” position.

We tried twisting them but, they don’t budge - I figured I oughta ask the braintrust here before breaking something by using too much force ...

I’d like to position them so the palm rest “blades” or “fins” are horizontal, pointed straight toward the rider or, the rear of the craft but, can’t seem to get them to move, let alone “off” ...

Thanks in advance!

No more than a few minutes on the hose to protect the carbon seal but it should be long enough to warm the oil.

The grips are held on by a screw in the end of them. Remove the Torx screw and pull them straight off, they will not twist but you should be able to clock them once off.

@mikidymac - Thank YOU!!!!! Guess next year will be a breeze but, really appreciate the help in not “cooking” any parts unintentionally!

Man, I feel like such a goof, not worrying about those grips til now - been too busy having fun!

I grabbed a Spark Maintenance Cable from Martin at Reliable Tuning - I don’t think he sleeps! - so, being able to warm the engine, etc. with the top deck off is going to help tremendously!

Thanks again!

oh, I thought you meant run the engine without ANY water....10-15 seconds dry is the limit in my opinion, the manual says just not to do it.

Oh no, I don’t ever want to be, “that guy!” o_O

If the ski is not sitting in the water then, we definitely only start ‘em and let em run on a freshwater hose (which we ALWAYS start the engine first, then turn the water hose on; and, ALWAYS turn the water off, before stopping the engine)

I may turn the engine over when I fog the cylinders before end of season storage but, the spark plugs are out then so, the engine never really starts ...

How’re things up in Wisconsin? Looks like today and this weekend will be our last rides for this year - here in WNC, the weather will remain warm enough to ride for at least another week or more but, I have a bunch of crap starting week after next (an eye surgery, seasonal chores, some travel, etc.) so, gotta enjoy ‘em as much as we can before putting em away for this year ... :confused:

Last edited:
It gets below freezing tonight. I took the spark out of the water a few days ago. It is in my heated garage. I still have the pontoon in the water though. Not too worried about that though.

Back