2 short beeps in advanced diagnostics mode on 96' GSX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GGuillot

While I'm waiting to get back to media blasting to ready the engine assembly, I'm doing other things like trying out the gauge mods I did RESTO - 1996 GSX complete restore and re gelcoat

I plugged in the stator and grounded it, hooked up the battery and the gauges come on pushing the start/stop button, they stay on for about 30 seconds and I can scroll through hitting mode and see everything including hours and so forth.

The issue: When I put any of the 3 lanyards, (2 old and 1 new) on the DESS post nothing happens. Connect the CANDOO nothing. With any of them on the DESS post push the start/stop button and get 1 long beep then gauges go off promptly. No lanyard on, press 5 times and enter advanced diagnostics mode, then attach lanyard and press start/stop button I get 2 short beeps and gauges turn off.

All fuses good, double checked with DMM, stator ohms test fine, DESS post ohm/continuity test is fine. Probe from backside side of DESS 3 connector plug to MPEM internal barrel connectors is fine.

My big question is...is it possible to have a DESS post and connections to the MPEM test fine and it still be bad? I'm about to place an order with OSD and need to know if I should get another DESS post for $59 or is there something else I can check, I'm running out of ideas.

Last edited:
2 Short beeps means MPEM can’t read the lanyard cap or it has bad magnet. It could be a bad wire connection at the Lanyard switch.

2 Short beeps means MPEM can’t read the lanyard cap or it has bad magnet. It could be a bad wire connection at the Lanyard switch.

Yes, that's what the SM says, with a DMM handy and testing with the lanyard cap on or off the DESS passes testing fine. I guess I'm to assume it could still be bad, but something is telling me it's something else, maybe wiring related elsewhere. I may throw $59 at it and get a new DESS, if anything I'll have a spare laying around for future troubleshooting.

Unless someone can point to something else to check...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back