1st time Purchaser: 1996 Sportster vs 1997 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamski

Looking to join the masses as a Seadoo jetboat owner shortly. Have two options (if still available) - 1996 Sportster (rebuilt engine with docs) and 1997 Speedster -- funny enough both around the same price.

What would you pay?
Which one is the hands down winner for fun? - keep in mind that initially fun will be tubing, wakeboarding, possibly skiing, and general cruising. IMHO, the Speedster sounds like much more fun with the dual 85HP engines, but you tell me.

Couple other related thoughts:
1) What things do I need to be careful of purchasing used other than:
- compression check: what would be the target values? Speedster port and starboard should be within range of one another.
- hull inspect and general fitment of things
- test drive:hurray:

2) Weight - No we aren't going to talk about losing some pounds:rofl:.
Initial Tow vehicle:3.8l V6 Grand Caravan (yeah, I know the minivan debate, but that's what would pull it initially) with a 2500lb tow rate.
The calcs: boat 1400lb (per nadaguide), 30 gallon gas tank (240lbs), Trailer (estimate 200lb), and gear (say 150lb) => approx 2000lbs dry.

Based on numbers alone it seems OK.
Let me know if that is the right calc or if I am out to lunch :)

Thanks for your opinions and time.
shamski

Personally, I'd go with the higher HP boat. But keep in mind that two engines mean two pump rebuilds, 4 carbs to rebuild, 4 spark plugs, etc. You get the idea. I like the idea of having two engines in case I need to limp home on only one.

I think your weight estimates are all on the light side, but think you should be OK for around tow driving. I wouldn't go on long trips with it if you like your transmission.

Good luck

Looking to join the masses as a Seadoo jetboat owner shortly. Have two options (if still available) - 1996 Sportster (rebuilt engine with docs) and 1997 Speedster -- funny enough both around the same price.

What would you pay?
Which one is the hands down winner for fun? - keep in mind that initially fun will be tubing, wakeboarding, possibly skiing, and general cruising. IMHO, the Speedster sounds like much more fun with the dual 85HP engines, but you tell me.

Couple other related thoughts:
1) What things do I need to be careful of purchasing used other than:
- compression check: what would be the target values? Speedster port and starboard should be within range of one another.
- hull inspect and general fitment of things
- test drive:hurray:

2) Weight - No we aren't going to talk about losing some pounds:rofl:.
Initial Tow vehicle:3.8l V6 Grand Caravan (yeah, I know the minivan debate, but that's what would pull it initially) with a 2500lb tow rate.
The calcs: boat 1400lb (per nadaguide), 30 gallon gas tank (240lbs), Trailer (estimate 200lb), and gear (say 150lb) => approx 2000lbs dry.

Based on numbers alone it seems OK.
Let me know if that is the right calc or if I am out to lunch :)

Thanks for your opinions and time.
shamski
I'd grab the 97 speedster, simply because of the 4th seat.

If it was me… it would be a hard decision.

Like it was said above… the Speedster will be more fun, and be able to pull a skier better. But, it does have double the expense of 2 entire drive trains. It also burns twice the fuel and oil. But, I do wish I got a boat with the extra seat. Not that the boat can hold more weight… but it’s a nicer design. IT also seems like the twin engine boat isn’t that much faster. (Stock) it will just pull more weight, and accelerate faster.

Where it’s hard for me to decide is because the Sportster has a new engine. If it was rebuilt by a good shop… that’s worth a lot in my book.

For me… I was in the same place a few months ago. Most of what I was finding was overpriced, and not in perfect condition, so I decided to buy a “Fixer-upper.” Since I was buying an older boat… I know if I personally went through everything myself… I could trust the boat on the water. I found an ugly Sportster with a brand new engine, cheap. And that’s what I went with because when I’m done… I will have a boat I can trust with my wife, and a 3 year old in it, and in the end… I will probably have less into it than I would have if I would have just bought a “Ready to go” boat, with an unknown history.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck

A few more things…

The sporter will be a few hundred pounds lighter. It’s dry weight is under 1000 Lbs, so towing will be a little easier.

On the Speedster… you will want to see 140 psi or better, and all the cylinders should be close to each other. If they are low, or not close… it will be time for a rebuild. The engine will run with much lower pressure… but it’s just a sign on the condition of the engines… and should reflect on the price. If they are asking for a prime price… the engines should be prime.

Oh… also get a flashlight, and look up into the pump. You should not see any big dents or chips in the impellers. (here again, price is a factor)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Dr Honda ... I hear you on overpriced, etc. I am watching the used boat market pickup up locally. I think I have my work cut out for me finding that deal as boats range from a 2000 Sportster to a 1996 Sportster with many Sportsters and Speedsters in between and within a thousand dollars of 1 another. :)

I do like the idea of that extra engine and seating though from the speedster over the sportster.

Thanks Pincusa for input on the weights -- it is tough to guesstimate not having one of the seadoos before.

I'll keep you posted on how things turn out as browsing is over and shopping begins.

Appears it wasn't to be either of those boats -- long sold now.
That's OK though as I appealed to my Project Manager at home and made a solid case for the next candidate.

2003 Sportster VTEC with factory wake tower

Not sure how I got that by her but I did.
Pick it up on Saturday and will be breaking her in over the weekend.
Guy selling is getting out of boating so it comes with all the stuff they had -- wake boards, knee boards, skis, tow ropes, etc. It should be pickup and go.

Thanks for the inputs previously.
shamski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back