1999 SK Throttle handle only opens carb 1/4 of the way

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

racecar

My 1999 SK had a sticky carburator over the winter whereby the shaft was stuck in the idle position (closed) and it took a ton of WD 40 and some elbow grease to loosen it. Prior to finding that out, we tried to throttle the engine and the lever (handle) didn't repond. We fixed the carb, but now the throttle lever only opens the carb 1/4 of the way. The cable is not broken and if/when I tried to adjust the play out, the idle would raise - so I brought it back which seems to be optimal. It appears there maybe something bent or wrong w/ the throttle handle assembly, but I can't tell. Any suggestions? Ray

Safety stop....

In your control handle linkage, there is a throttle safety stop that keeps you from over revs while in neutral. Did you try to move the throttle handle forward after you put it in gear? or were you in idle? It has to be in gear for it to move more than 1/4.
Oh, I bet that carb that was frooze up was the mag side carb. The bushins on that carb is notorious for that.

Adjustment on the carb

The rev limiter is set at 4000 rpm so if it was in neutral it would not hit wot, like skatman mentioned. I do find it hard for the throttle assembly to be bent, but you may check the adjustment on the throttle housing. Also, sometimes the rev limiter / neutral switch can get stuck and has to be fixed. I would also double check the adjustment that is attached to the carb, if this was installed improperly when reinstalling the carb that could be the case too. (If you pulled the carb to fix it) Basically, I would trace the cable from front to back checking for any damage and making sure the cable is connected correctly. Let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck,
Scrump:)

On my 97 Challenger I had the same problem. Take the control handle out of the boat. Remove the 4 cover screws, and the 4 under the cover too. Use Pb blaster if you have to, cause I just know they are corroded in place. Check the linkage and the rev limiter switch in the handle while it's apart. Check now for it's operation. Make sure it gets full throttle and the carbs are getting idle speed too. Adjust it so you get both high speed and idle. than reassemble. That should solve the problem.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back