1999 SeaDoo GSX Limited

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Josh1999gsx

Hey, I just found a 1999 SeaDoo GSX Limited on marketplace for 900 with the trailer I was just wondering if it’s reliable and worth it?

Only if it is running and in decent shape. If it isn't running it isn't worth more than $500.

As they say.. fast, cheap and reliable, pick any two.

The GSX Limited is very fast but a highly stressed engine. They take some special maintenance, don't tolerate any water ingestion and have a life of about 200 hours.

Only if it is running and in decent shape. If it isn't running it isn't worth more than $500.

As they say.. fast, cheap and reliable, pick any two.

The GSX Limited is very fast but a highly stressed engine. They take some special maintenance, don't tolerate any water ingestion and have a life of about 200 hours.
Mik,

I love buying these cheap and doing complete rebuilds on them so it makes me curious to know what the “high stressors” are with these puppies. If you’d prefer it in PM, im cool with that, didnt want to jump straight to that though.

Josh,

In my own experience, the GSX has been a very fun platform to rebuild and ride. They are the only ski i target for complete rebuilds, id relate them to the old Mercury “led-sleds” of the hot rod world. No one really seems to go after them, at least on the Left Coast they dont, which works for me when it comes to cost.

If you are a fellow wrench spinner, get it and do a complete rebuild so you know the ski inside and out. As long as you do it properly, the ski should be fairly bullet proof. All it takes is downloading manuals and learning techniques from other hobbyists from forums and youtube. (Not everything on youtube is gospel and SHORTCUTS are a death sentence for these two strokes)

Cheers!

Ask question for anything you cant make sense of, consult manuals and have fun with it.

Mik,

I love buying these cheap and doing complete rebuilds on them so it makes me curious to know what the “high stressors” are with these puppies. If you’d prefer it in PM, im cool with that, didnt want to jump straight to that though.

Josh,

In my own experience, the GSX has been a very fun platform to rebuild and ride. They are the only ski i target for complete rebuilds, id relate them to the old Mercury “led-sleds” of the hot rod world. No one really seems to go after them, at least on the Left Coast they dont, which works for me when it comes to cost.

If you are a fellow wrench spinner, get it and do a complete rebuild so you know the ski inside and out. As long as you do it properly, the ski should be fairly bullet proof. All it takes is downloading manuals and learning techniques from other hobbyists from forums and youtube. (Not everything on youtube is gospel and SHORTCUTS are a death sentence for these two strokes)

Cheers!

Ask question for anything you cant make sense of, consult manuals and have fun with it.
It is the 951 engine. It is really high horsepower per cc and the other manufacturer's had to go to 3 cylinders to compete. So the engine life is shorter because it is so high performance and they will not tolerate water ingestion or running lean. Basically lack of maintenance and knowledge gave them a bad reputation of blowing up. Crankshafts are done at about 200 hours.

It is the 951 engine. It is really high horsepower per cc and the other manufacturer's had to go to 3 cylinders to compete. So the engine life is shorter because it is so high performance and they will not tolerate water ingestion or running lean. Basically lack of maintenance and knowledge gave them a bad reputation of blowing up. Crankshafts are done at about 200 hours.
Ahh, yes, nothing new to me then. I thought there was something else to your comment above and i am glad to hear that there isnt. Thank you for your reply.

Back