1999 SeaDoo Challenger - problems getting beeping twice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyinottawa

Please help, my boat runs great however recently I have a hard time getting the double beep when attaching the key. After about 20 attemps it works.... is it a contact problem or corroded wiring ?

My battery was drained because of a pump that was left on and I now seem to have this problem now, don't think it is related but you never know.

I am putting it away for storage however would like to get it fixed for spring.

Any help will be good.

Thanks...Tony

Beeps!

Welcome Tony,
This is a problem I've faced on my 97. The troubleshooting guide says to wash the lanyard key with a mild soap and water, then let it dry out. It refers to salt water crystals drying in it. They really warn about using any type of grease or lubricants due to the electronic chip embedded in the lanyard. It sounds like to me that you may have a bad lanyard/post. If you relplace the post, you will need to take the boat to a dealership or OEM repair shop and they can reprogram a new lanyard key for you.
There is an advanced diagostic tool you can use and is simple. Without going through all of it, let's just see if your MPEM recognizes your key. With the battery in and the lanyard disconnected, press the start/stop button 5 times. At this point, you'll hear an audible signal that you've pushed the button 5 times. Then apply your lanyard key. If there are no further beeps, then the MPEM is reading your key correctly. If you get a series of beeps, then pay attention to them and repost.
You can find this information yourself on our website if your a premium member. It will make it easier for you to understand what your doing and if run into problems, we'll always be around here to help you out.
I hope you find your problem!..:confused:

Thanks Mod.....

I was showing boat to someone when this happened, as it never did to me before however the marina who services it mentions it sometime dis this when coming out of storage. My battery was drained after my wife left something , pump or exhaust fan, however I trickle charged battery for 1.5 hours but could get double beep.

I called dealer where I bought, they said replace key first $75 and re-program but didn't mention a price on the programming. I estimated $200 total for the repair.....sound close.

I appreciate the help.

Tony

Price!

Honestly, I don't know. I would almost think that if the dealer is going to sell you a key for $75 bucks, that should come with the programming. I'm actually about to do the same thing with my challenger. I think the previous owner put oil or something in it because sometimes I get good contact with two beeps and sometimes I get nothing............so I'll be experiencing this for the first time too. I love to work on my engines, but I don't know where I can purchase the MPEM programmer, which is what they use to program a key. If I did, you'd bet I'd buy one though............LOL Your MPEM can hold up to 6 keys in it's memory, so it may be a good idea to get a second one. I'd have to tell the dealer to give me a good deal on programming though............Sometimes, we are at the mercy of the distributer, just no gettin around it!........:cool:

I just re-read your post. If your battery was dead and you did the advanced diagnostic on your key and you got two beeps, you may not need it........your battery may have been to weak to power up your MPEM..........make sure you have a good battery and try again.....!

Last edited by a moderator:
It may very well be the battery, it was new last year but I only charged it for 1 hour after in was accidentally drained when ideally I should let it trickle charge for 4 hours....good finding!!!

I will look into it in the spring when battery is fully charged :)

Tony

Seadoo Snipe. I am not getting the two beep response when I attach my lanyard. I have a 96 SD GTX that started and ran well all summer. I removed the lanyard, pressed the start/stop button 5 times, recieved no response, beeps or otherwise. I have good spark at both plugs, battery is fully charged, 787 engine turns over easily, but will not start. lray88

Advanced diagnostic?

When you remove your lanyard key and press your start/stop button 5 times, you should get the one short beep and then one long beep. This informs you that your in advanced mode. Then you put your lanyard cap on. If you get nothing else and your engine starts, then you have no other problems. If you your lanyard cap on and you get a set of beeps, count them, write me back......

I removed the lanyard, pressed the start/stop 5 times, no beeps, put the lanyard back on, engine won't turn over, checked battery, fully charged. The only response I can hear is a "click" the first time I press the start/stop, no other response. Also, now the engine does not turn over. Acts like it has too much compression. thanks, lray88

Click?

When in advanced diagnostic mode, after pressing the button 5 times, you get the one short and one long beep. That signals that your in the advanced testing mode. When you put the lanyard on and push the button, you will hear other beeps if there is a problem. To me, it sounds like your getting a confirmation that your system is well. The click your hearing could be from a bad ground at your starter, dirty connections at the battery of even a faulty solenoid......
Check all your positive and negative connections to your doo. Trace the positive cable and see were it goes into the electrical box. Open the box and look at the connections for corrosion and any wires that may be loose or broken. Then chase the positive wire out where it connects to your starter. Make sure the connection is tight and clean. Then from the starter, you should see another wire bolted to it. That's your ground wire. Check it really good. This is the most important and most neglected wire that creates the primary connection for your complete electrical system. Check it all the way back to the battery..........Also, if you can, try and turn the engine over by hand just to make sure you didn't lock up.
Let me know what you find out!.......:hat:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back