1999 Sea-Doo XP Limited won’t stay running

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camcass929

I have recently done the top end of my Sea-Doo XP Limited. After the rebuild it ran, I took off the Carburetors because I was chasing problems, Which I later found out to be the rave valves. I have put the carburetors on and have prime the fuel system by putting fuel in the fuel water separator and the main feed line, just as I did before to start after rebuild. And the jet ski will run fine with that fuel but won’t pull anymore from the fuel tank. It was working fine last week, what went wrong?

Sounds like fuel isn't running thru. I "prime" mine by pulling the carb return line (that goes back to tank) and blow right into it. I will do that until I see fuel running through the carbs. My carb lines have been replaced with clear fuel line, so it makes it easy for me. You may need to blow in the tank until it spits fuel out the carb return T-Joint.

Make sure that fuel/water separator/filter is sealed. I hear they go bad pretty quickly due to the O-ring not sealing. Pressurize your tank and listen for any air leaks, aside from the pressure release hose.

Make sure your fuel selector is set to ON as well, lol. If it is, make sure it's not leaking. You may have to pull it off, and that only takes 5 mins.

The selector itself. They have the tendency to go bad. My old one would not seal. I had to pull it out, and blow right into it on the off setting, and it was letting air thru. Switched it to ON and it would leak out the RES port. Had to replace it.

You should go through your fuel circuit system and narrow down where the fuel stops running. I had to do this before. If you find the fuel circuit is working, then you know you had a carb issue.

I use a beer bottle, and start with the first part of the fuel delivery - the line coming off the tank and into the fuel selector IN line. If that's flowing, then move to the OUT line of the selector. Pull the OUT line of fuel selector, and blow into the carb return line. Gas should come out the selector.

If so, move on to the next part - the water seperator/filter. pull the line feeding the filter, blow thru return line. Should flow. If so, plug it back in, and pull the OUT line of filter. Blow in return.

If the above are flowing, move to the final line - the one that feeds the carbs. Pull this off the bottom of the carb. Blow in fuel return line. Gas should come out. If it's dry, you have to give it some time to cycle thru the 20 feet of line, but it will come out.

This way you can eliminate each part of your fuel delivery system.

The selector itself. They have the tendency to go bad. My old one would not seal. I had to pull it out, and blow right into it on the off setting, and it was letting air thru. Switched it to ON and it would leak out the RES port. Had to replace it.

You should go through your fuel circuit system and narrow down where the fuel stops running. I had to do this before. If you find the fuel circuit is working, then you know you had a carb issue.

I use a beer bottle, and start with the first part of the fuel delivery - the line coming off the tank and into the fuel selector IN line. If that's flowing, then move to the OUT line of the selector. Pull the OUT line of fuel selector, and blow into the carb return line. Gas should come out the selector.

If so, move on to the next part - the water seperator/filter. pull the line feeding the filter, blow thru return line. Should flow. If so, plug it back in, and pull the OUT line of filter. Blow in return.

If the above are flowing, move to the final line - the one that feeds the carbs. Pull this off the bottom of the carb. Blow in fuel return line. Gas should come out. If it's dry, you have to give it some time to cycle thru the 20 feet of line, but it will come out.

This way you can eliminate each part of your fuel delivery system.

I took off the in line, no fuel came out when I cranked it over for about 10 seconds. I pulled the res line off and fuel came out. But I tried cranking it over with the res line off and no fuel came through. Did I do something wrong or is there a problem with the sending unit in the tank?

Well if you pulled the line going into the carbs, nothing will happen if you crank the engine. You don't have a fuel pump. The ski uses the engine pressure and carb accelerator to pull fuel from the tank.

If you pull the line going in the bottom of the carbs, then pull the line on top of the carbs (return line). This one can be traced back to the fuel tank. Once you pull it off the carbs, blow into it. You will manually pressurize the tank that way. At that point, fuel will come out of the line going to the bottom of the carbs.

Pull the return line right off at the T-joint on top of the carbs.

Make sure the pulse line is connected as well. This is the first hose inlet on the side of the MAG/front carb (front meaning it face the front of your ski). That line connected will run down into your engine crank case, probably can't follow it or see it with everything in there. Just make sure it's connected as Mac said above.

Make sure the pulse line is connected as well. This is the first hose inlet on the side of the MAG/front carb (front meaning it face the front of your ski). That line connected will run down into your engine crank case, probably can't follow it or see it with everything in there. Just make sure it's connected as Mac said above.

I believe I have it connected. It’s the one from the front plate on the front carb and connects back behind both carbs to the engine.

Yes, that is the pulse.

I think you might be asking if fuel should come out of the hoses without the carb connected?

The answer to that is no, there is no fuel pump in the tank. The fuel pump is built into the MAG carb. The baffle in the tank is just plastic straws that go down into the fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back